Antifreeze now recycled

Antifreeze can now be recycled for free at various locations across the South Okanagan.

Antifreeze can now be recycled for free at various locations across the regional district.

Used antifreeze is a concern for the environment since it may contain copper, zinc and lead from automobile engines, and can pose several risks to the environment, animals and humans, when leaked, spilled or improperly disposed of.

“It is estimated that about 11 to 12 million litres of automotive antifreeze will be sold in B.C. this year. About 45 per cent of the antifreeze sold will be available for collection and recycling while the other 55 per cent is lost through use,” said Dave Russell with the B.C. Used Oil Management Association, a non-profit organization  responsible for the provincewide collection and recycling of used oil, oil containers and oil filters. “We are optimistic that close to three million litres of used antifreeze will be collected in our first full year of operation.”

Residents can currently bring used oil, antifreeze, oil filters and applicable containers for free drop off and recycling at the following locations:

Penticton: Canadian Tire, Great Canadian Oil Change, Larsen Brothers, Lube-X; Osoyoos: OK Truck; Oliver: Oliver Brake and Muffler; Okanagan Falls: G&R Auto; Keremeos: Dan’s Automotive

The Campbell Mountain Landfill in Penticton, the Summerland Landfill and Princeton Landfill can also accept antifreeze, oil, oil filters and containers free of charge. Check with for new locations as they become available.


Just Posted

Penticton patient care tower fundraising going strong

About $14.3 million in donations for the Penticton hospital has come in

Exercising her right to fight

Thinking inside the box helped push Geneva Kostashen through cancer treatment

Council approves all tax exemption requests

List includes charities, service groups and the Penticton Golf and Country Club

Day 2 of RCMP search at Silver Creek residence

Police use backhoe in ongoing search effort at residential/agricultural Salmon River Road property

TGIF: South Okanagan concerts and events

Live theatre, concerts, events, art exhibits and more from around the South Okanagan

Mixing up local talent and cocktails

The annual Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery Mixoff takes place in Kelowna in November

B.C. search groups mobilize for missing mushroom picker

Searchers from across the province look for Frances Brown who has been missing since Oct. 14.

Search for missing B.C. man a race against winter weather

David Jeff of Williams Lake was last seen in Kamloops during the chaotic wildfire evacuations

Bantam Vees tournament good prep for start of the season

Penticton hockey team heads into regular season with just one loss in nine exhibition games

Auntie Says: Don’t bring your dope to my house

Don’t judge me and I won’t judge you, but if you try and smoke at my house, you’ll be asked to leave

Man steals police car, goes for a ‘slow’ ride

Mission RCMP say the motive of the theft is unknown

Dodgers punch ticket to World Series

This will be the first time the Los Angles Dodgers have made it to the World Series since 1988.

Surf group winning the war on plastic bags

The Tofino Co-op will no longer provide plastic bags, following in the footsteps of the Ucluelet location that already made the change earlier this year.

All three victims identified in Fernie arena ammonia leak

Wayne Hornquist and Lloyd Smith were from Fernie and Jason Podloski from Turner Valley, Alta

Most Read