- 2015 Federal Election
Accused killer back behind bars
A 19-year-old Penticton man who is accused of murder is back behind bars after breaching his bail conditions last week.
Jamie Wolanski appeared at Penticton Supreme Court on Monday shackled in handcuffs and gave his family sitting in the gallery a head nod as he turned to sit in the prisoner's box. The two breaches allegedly have to do with Wolanski breaking his 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.
Wolanski is accused of the second-degree murder of Andrew McAdam who died after being stabbed at a Penticton graduation bush party in the Carmi area last June at a party known to grads as "sunset."
Family of McAdam attended the court proceedings on Monday and said they were relieved the accused murderer is now behind bars.
"I am very happy today," said Linda Childs, the mother of the slain teen.
Wolanski was remanded into custody by consent on Monday and will return to court on June 20 to face the breach charges. Crown counsel Colin Forsyth said he will apply to have Wolanski's bail revoked on July 30 in Supreme court. This means Wolanski will remain in custody during the preliminary inquiry for the second-degree murder charge, which is expected to begin on July 16.
This is not the first time Wolanski is accused of breaching his bail conditions since he was released after being arrested for second-degree murder last summer. Wolanski was originally released on $75,000 bail, a $10,000 cash deposit and two assurities. He appeared in court in January for allegedly breaking his bail conditions but was released after Crown counsel decided not to go forward with the charges. Wolanski had about 17 conditions attached to his release.