Smoke damage results in closure of Penticton T-Bones
A small electrical fire earlier this week has resulted in the temporary closure of a Riverside Public Market business.
According to Brian Ulveland of T-Bones Fresh Meal Market, the resulting smoke damage from the fire will likely keep his shop doors closed for a “week or two.”
Penticton Fire Rescue received a report of smoke in the store late Tuesday afternoon.
When crews arrived, the staff of T-Bones and the adjoining businesses including COBS Breads and Quality Greens Farm Market had been evacuated.
According to deputy fire chief Dave Spalding, the problem began with a transformer on a power pole on the street outside the market building.
It appears the resulting power surge overheated a wire or wires inside a wall near the T-Bones store resulting in the fire.
“We have product that’s being disposed of and they’ll have to spray in here, repaint and sanitize everything and they’re even getting rid of the dry goods,” said Ulveland.
“We’re quite disappointed because the sun is out and this is our season to shine, but we’ll be back open and have some great opening day specials to get everybody back.”
The other market businesses remain open.