News

Man dies in Penticton RCMP cell block

A 30-year-old man died while in the Penticton RCMP cell block last week.

Insp. Brad Haugli released a statement that said the man, with no fixed addressed, was arrested on Aug. 9 as a result of a disturbance complaint and refusal to leave a Penticton residence. The man had a teleconference with a Judicial Justice of the Peace and was remanded for a court appearance in Penticton provincial court on Aug. 10.

"Prior to his court appearance the man was found unresponsive in his cell. B.C. Ambulance Services attended but the man was pronounced dead," said Haugli in the press release.

In keeping with RCMP policy, an independent investigation has been requested. The Saanich Police Department has been asked by Penticton RCMP to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of the man while in his cell block. The B.C. Coroner Service has also been engaged.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Searchers comb area for missing Penticton couple
 
Security stepped up in B.C. after attacks in Ottawa
 
Terrace, Thornhill amalgamation issue raised
Kist resigns as Pacific NorthWest LNG president; Progress Energy CEO acting president
 
Prince Rupert Rampage fall 10-2 to Smithers Steelheads
 
City of Prince Rupert to apply for intervenor status in Enbridge review
Andrew Zwicker
 
Velma McKay and Vicky Dalton are Women of the Year
 
Housing emerges as Terrace municipal election issue

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.