News

Fire consumes building in Keremeos

Firefighters mop up after an early morning blaze gutted a residence on Second Avenue in Keremeos on Wednesday morning.  - Steve Arstad/Black Press
Firefighters mop up after an early morning blaze gutted a residence on Second Avenue in Keremeos on Wednesday morning.
— image credit: Steve Arstad/Black Press

Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department responded to an early morning fire Wednesday that gutted a building at 300 Second Ave. in Keremeos.

Firefighters responded to the scene just after 5 a.m. Wednesday. Smoke and flames were emanating from a side door as well as from in between the slats of the twin garage doors at the front of the residence.

Keremeos Fire Chief Jordy Bosscha said the fire proved to be difficult to fight.

“The interior of the building was fully involved when we arrived, and the discovery of a large propane tank that was already venting in the basement also caused a few anxious moments,” Bosscha said.

Firefighters were also unable to gain access to the upper floor of the residence because the  fire had completely burned the interior first floor.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the blaze, which was also attended by members of the Keremeos RCMP, and B.C. Ambulance Service. It is believed that the fire was started by a faulty space heater, which the owner said  had been operating in the basement. The building was unoccupied and up for sale at the time of the blaze.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.