Bobbitt back in Penticton court
After six adjournments, progress is finally being made on the charges against David Bobbitt, who is accused of a violent sexual assault on a Penticton woman.
Bobbitt is charged with aggravated assault, two counts of unlawful confinement or imprisonment, aggravated sexual assault, two counts of uttering threats and assault with a weapon stemming from a incident on July 30, 2011.
A 22-year-old Penticton mom and her toddler son are alleged to have been held inside Dave's Second Hand Store by Bobbitt for over 10 hours. He is accused of severely beating the woman, sexually assaulting her and confining her to a bed in his store which was located in a building he was leasing on Ellis Street.
Bobbitt appeared via video in Penticton court on Monday with his hands cuffed and did not say anything. While Bobbitt was ordered to stand trial in June, the specific dates had not been set. Defence council James Pennington told the Supreme Court justice on Monday that discussions are ongoing with Crown counsel regarding a hearing for dangerous offender status.
Justice Alison Beames voiced her displeasure that there have been six fix-a-date adjournments since the preliminary inquiry was held and a decision made that there is sufficient evidence to go to trial. She asked the defence if the discussions with Crown counsel have included a plan for pleas and possible sentencing. Pennington said that was "exactly" the case, but Bobbitt needed time to think about things.
Bobbitt was arrested on Aug. 3, 2011 when RCMP received a tip from a farmer who recognized the man on his property located between Oliver and Osoyoos and has been in custody since then. He is scheduled to next appear in court on Feb. 25 at 10 a.m. when some of the matters discussed on Monday are anticipated to be addressed.