News

Penticton Fire Department spreading safety message

Sparky the Penticton Fire Department mascot with Hana Large of Parkway Elementary School who was selected as the winner of the Fire-Chief-for-a-Day contest. She was given her prize Monday at a special Fire Prevention Week assemblay at the school which included a roadshow event put on by the Penticton Secondary School drama department. - Mark Brett/Western News
Sparky the Penticton Fire Department mascot with Hana Large of Parkway Elementary School who was selected as the winner of the Fire-Chief-for-a-Day contest. She was given her prize Monday at a special Fire Prevention Week assemblay at the school which included a roadshow event put on by the Penticton Secondary School drama department.
— image credit: Mark Brett/Western News

Kitchen nightmares are a reality, especially when it comes to fires.

More than any other part of the home, the kitchen is the location a fire is most likely to start, or a burn injury occur.

That’s why the theme of this year’s Fire Prevention Week, which runs until Oct. 12 is preventing kitchen fires.

“Cooking brings family and friends together, provides an outlet for creativity and can be relaxing but it can also be dangerous,” said Fire Chief Wayne Williams.

Being alert and staying present in the kitchen while cooking on the stove top or in the oven is key to fire prevention in the kitchen.

“Simple steps like keeping stove tops, ovens and burners clean can be the step that saves lives and homes.”

Despite the fact fewer fire losses are reported in Canada, an average of eight Canadians still die from fire every week.

As part of their education efforts, the Penticton Fire Department and the drama class from Penticton Secondary are visiting local elementary schools to spread the message.

“We’re hoping that if we can get out and educate the children with regards to safety, we’re hoping that the children will then go home and talk it over with mom and dad,” said Jody Fotherby, the fire department’s operations assistant.

“From there, they’ll work on their home-escape plan and they’ll be sure to check their smoke alarms to make sure they are working because it’s the smoke alarm that is going to save their life.”

She added it is important for children to understand there should always be an adult present when they are cooking.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Update: Fire on Fairview
 
Jakubeit wants to delay budget
 
Salvation Army kettle campaign rings in
Okanagan Skaha SD 67 trustees will focus on relationships with teachers
 
McKortoff first female mayor in Osoyoos
 
OC Aboriginal students want more cultural events
Milfoil control derailed in Osoyoos because of theft and vandalism
 
Burton Cummings is coming to Penticton
 
Film sets sights on mussels

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.