- 2015 Federal Election
UPDATE: Osoyoos house fire victim dies in Vancouver hospital
The B.C. Coroners Service has confirmed Deleyne Hunter, aged 52, of Osoyoos, died following a house fire on Jan. 17, 2014.
Ms. Hunter was transported to Vancouver General Hospital for treatment of burns suffered in the fire at her residence. She died of her injuries Jan. 18.
The BC Coroners Service, RCMP and Osoyoos fire department continue to investigate this death.
Ms. Hunter and an unidentified male were initially taken to South Okanagan General Hospital in Oliver. The male was later transferred to Kelowna General Hospital.
"They were burned pretty bad," said Jones about the victims. "When we got there the flames were coming out of the front and the top of the house.
"The male occupant had pulled the female occupant out and they were being attended to by neighbours and passers by and they did a really good job. It's a really hard thing to do."
Jones confirmed there was a delay in the response of BC Ambulance Service because the Osoyoos paramedics were out of the area on another call.
"They had to bring another one (ambulance) in from out of town so it took a little longer and in that situation one minute seems like 10 minutes," he said.
The initial report of the fire at the west-side of the duplex at 8701 92nd Ave. came in about 9 a.m.
Jones estimated about a dozen firefighters were able to respond and finished up around noon, some stopping back later in the day to check for hot spots.
"We have no idea yet what the cause may have been however I can tell you it started at the front of the house," said the chief.
At the time of the fire one nearby neighbour was told by firefighters to leave his home and when he did he saw flames shooting up nearly six metres in the air.
He also saw the woman, believed to have been the most seriously injured, lying on the ground being attended to by neighbours and passers by.
Police and investigators from the Fire Commissioner's office are investigating however there is no indication at this time the blaze was suspicious.