News

Fire destroys Cawston home

The fire which destroyed the Barcelo Road home of an elderly Cawston couple Friday is believed to be accidental.

Investigators were on the scene on the weekend to sift through the debris from the fast-moving fire which is believed to have started in the garage.

Bryan Horrock was in the home of his parents Marlene and George Mysel when he heard crackling and popping sounds coming from the garage.

According to Horrock's wife Cindy, he went to investigate and saw flames along one wall and in the attic.

Grabbing just a few belongings the trio were able to escape unharmed.

Cindy said despite the work of the volunteer crews they were unable to save the structure. She credited their continued efforts even when it appeared there was nothing that could be done to save the building.

The Mysel's are currently staying with their son and daughter-in-law who live next door.

Penticton Fire Rescue crews were also busy Monday, responding to a garage fire on Holden Road. The morning fire destroyed the small structure but crews were able to prevent it from spreading to a nearby home, despite strong winds blowing in the direction of the building.

Neither of the two people at the residence at the time of the fire were hurt.

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.