- 2015 Federal Election
Oliver family loses home after early morning fire
An Oliver family is devastated and left with nothing after a fire has destroyed their home.
Shawna Michaud, a friend of the family, said the Oliver couple, who have three children, are in complete shock after losing their home to the blaze that occurred Monday morning around 6 a.m.
"The mother is lost right now, she doesn't know what to do or think. It is so devastating for them," said Michaud. "Ultimately her priority is her kids right now."
Michaud said she could see a plume of black smoke this morning that appeared to come from the hike and bike path. It wasn't until she started going towards it that she realized it was coming from a house on Oliver's Main Street, located next to Linda Larson's MLA office.
Michaud said the family was jarred awake by someone knocking at their door telling them to get out of the house.
"The whole place was engulfed. All the emergency personnel were on scene and as we speak now it's been knocked down and is just smouldering," said Michaud.
The family includes three children, ages three, five and eight, and they are in immediate need of clothing, toiletries and food.
"This is the type of family that anything they have they are fully appreciative. It is why this tugs at your heartstrings. Anything that people want to give we are taking because they didn't have renters insurance. It's so tough starting off from zero again, people work all their lives for their household items and for them its all gone," said Michaud.
Anyone wanting to donate items to help the family can contact Michaud by phone at 250-498-5523 or via email at email@example.com.