News

Nudists not discouraged by mayor saying no to new beach

Dustin Wolchina spoke to reporters Saturday on behalf of nudists who frequent a clothing-optional portion of Three Mile Beach in Penticton that has now been closed to them. - Joe Fries/Western News
Dustin Wolchina spoke to reporters Saturday on behalf of nudists who frequent a clothing-optional portion of Three Mile Beach in Penticton that has now been closed to them.
— image credit: Joe Fries/Western News

Despite the mayor rejecting a call to create a nude beach in Penticton, those looking for a new place to tan in their birthday suits aren’t giving up just yet.

“We’re not discouraged in any way,” said Dustin Wolchina, who speaks on behalf of nudists who have been chased from their old home at Three Mile Beach.

They had for decades used a piece of private property bordering the city-owned portion of Three Mile, but signs and a security guard were posted last week to keep out the sunbathers in a bid to make the $3-million site more attractive to potential buyers.

Following a meeting with his peers this week, Wolchina appealed for nudists to respect the boundary created by the Okanagan Lake high-water mark, which separates Crown land from private property. And with the lake approaching full pool, most of the public space is underwater.

“We would like to encourage our local community to act in a leadership role and promote the education of our guests, visitors and friends to defuse any tensions resulting from the loss of the experience that they have come to love and enjoy,” he said.

Wolchina said the group may try to stake a claim to a public portion of Three Mile Beach, but, “We want to know if anybody does go down on the main beach if we’re going to have any problems.”

The group will also form a committee to formally ask the city for help at a later date.

“We’re going to leave everything as it sits right at the moment until we’re more prepared, because we are just starting to deal with this,” said Wolchina.

Mayor Garry Litke said previously the city is “not going to start parcelling off beaches for any kind of special interests.”

He also said nudists are free to move to a different beach, but should be prepared to “deal with whatever feedback they got.”

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

UPDATE: B.C. legislature to get security scanner
 
Naramata school celebrates centennial with The Maypole Dance
 
Soldier killed in Parliament Hill siege
Pharmasave helps with international health care
 
Operation Popcorn thanks transplant staff
 
Burn Fund Centre breaks ground

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.