-

Alleged Penticton hockey scam gets trial date

The two men accused defrauding parents through a now-defunct hockey organization's promised trip to Europe have dates for trial.

The trial dates are set for the two men allegedly responsible for defrauding Penticton parents in a failed hockey trip to Europe.

During a pre-trial conference in Penticton Supreme Court on Oct. 26 it was determined the trial for Michael Elphicke and Loren Reagan begins Sept. 11, 2017.

Read more: Failed hockey dorm proponents face criminal charges

The two are charged with theft over $5,000, fraud over $5,000 and unauthorized management of a lottery.

Read more: Bad phone connection blamed for non-appearance in alleged hockey fraud case

The charges stem from the now defunct Okanagan Elite Hockey Association, which allegedly raised more than $100,000 from minor hockey parents prior to cancelling a trip to Europe.

The trial is estimated to last three weeks, minus four days due to unavailable court time. Crown counsel Patrick Fullerton estimated 30 witnesses, around 18 hockey parents, two city employees, an investment broker, B.C. Gaming Commission witnesses, two accountants, three police officers and a non-profit organization member.

Penticton lawyer James Pennington, counsel for Elphicke, opposed the suggestion of Justice Gary Weatherill that due to scheduling conflicts between counsels the trial may have to be moved to Kelowna.

“This file has gained much notoriety in Penticton. On principle, it’s a Penticton file, it should be heard in Penticton,” Pennington said.

It is not the first time Pennington has argued to keep a high-profile Supreme Court case in the community. He lobbied unsuccessfully to keep the trial of Grace and Pier Robotti (accused of the second-degree murder of Roxanne Louie) in Penticton. He elaborated on the implications of moving trials out of the community during the pre-trial conference.

Read more: Penticton siblings accused of murder have trial moved to Kelowna

“Historically there’s been a move to siphon stuff out of Penticton and Vernon and centralize it in Kelowna and if everybody agrees to that, the next thing you know the Penticton registry will close. It’s a great blow to the community,” Pennington said.

Read more: Security concerns over kidnapping inquiry

Justice Weatherill also ordered Crown and defence to distill the testimony of witnesses down with admissions to shorten the time of trial.

“The events go back to 2011, 2012. So it has to get on,” Weatherill said.

 

Just Posted

Supporting survivors of breast cancer

Survivorship shows there is life beyond cancer

Foreigner feeling like the first time after 40

Foreigner doesn’t miss a beat after 40 years

Octoberfest is the toast of the town

Eighth annual night of fun, music and brews

Vees lose 4-2 to Wenatchee

The Vees face the Wild again Wednesday, on home ice

Search continues after human remains located

The search of the property in the 2200 block of Salmon River Road enters its fourth day

VIDEO: Sears liquidation sales continue across B.C.

Sales are expected to continue into the New Year

10,000 signatures gained to stop ‘no pets’ rental policy

Pets OK BC said about 1,700 animals were surrendered to the BC SPCA last year due to housing issues

A golden opportunity

Orthodontist offers sweet deal for the pocketbook

Who is Curtis Sagmoen?

The Observer reveals what we know about the man attached to the Silver Creek property where human remains were found

VIDEO: Oprah Winfrey and a celebrities attend ‘B.C. Miracle Concert’

Fundraiser featured Foster, Steven Tyler, The Tenors, Matteo Bocelli, Laura Bretan, Carly Rae Jepsen

Reel Reviews: Nothing left to lose

We say, “Grieving Quan kicks butt”

New B.C. acute care centre opens for young patients, expectant mothers

Facility aims to make B.C. Children’s Hospital visits more comfortable

Search ramps up for B.C. woman after dog, car found near Ashcroft

Jenny Lynn Larocque’s vehicle and dog were found in Venables Valley, but there is no sign of her

Police officer hit by car, stabbed in Edmonton attack back on job

Const. Mike Chernyk, 48, returned to work Thursday

Most Read