Blaze leaves couple homeless just before Christmas

The Silver Creek couple was treated for smoke inhalation in hospital and released the same day.

An early morning fire on Dec. 20 completely destroyed a couple's home and their possessions.

A fire in the early morning hours of Dec. 20 destroyed a couple’s home and all of their possessions and Silver Creek Store owner Colleen Sarrazin is eager to help them get back on their feet.

Sean Coubrough, Columbia Shuswap Regional District’s interim regional fire chief, says a call to the rental home at 1225 Salmon River Rd. came in at 2:40 a.m.

“Flame and smoke were visible enroute to the fire; the building was fully involved,” he says.

Ten Silver Creek Fire Department volunteer firefighters responded and were able to extinguish the fire and prevent flames from reaching a nearby propane tank and outbuilding.

“The occupants said a smoke alarm alerted them and when they opened the boot room door, there were flames inside,” Coubrough says. “They got themselves out of the building and the ambulance crew recommended they go to the hospital to get checked out.”

The couple was treated for smoke inhalation and released the same day.

They are receiving aid from Emergency Social Services for three days.

Further help will be forthcoming through a fund being set up at the Silver Creek Store.

Sarrazin says a cash donation box has been placed on the front counter and donations of clothing and housewares can be taken to the store at 948 Salmon River Rd.

For those who wish to make a donation of clothing, the female in her 50s, wears size 12 and size 8.5 in shoes or boots.

The man, also in his 50s, is a size 44 for tops and 40 for pants. He wears size 10 shoes and boots.

“They need everything,” says Sarrazin, noting a new computer being used by the woman for work was among the items lost in the fire.

If you have larger items such as furnishings to donate,or want more information, call Sarrazin at 250-832-6561.