The emergency department of the South Okanagan General Hospital will now remain open this weekend due to successful efforts to fill previously-vacant shifts for physician coverage.
On June 1, Interior Health (IH) informed the public of planned closures for June 4 and 5 due to unfilled shifts, and of ongoing efforts to fill those shifts.
“Interior Health appreciates the support of physicians in addressing this situation, and for their ongoing collaboration to work toward a long-term, sustainable solution for SOGH ED coverage,” it said in a press release issued by Interior Health on Friday afternoon.
Interior Health said due to limited physician availability the emergency department at the South Okanagan General Hospital will be closed on Sunday, June 4 and overnight on Monday, June 5.
“Interior Health has been working closely with our physician group to secure coverage for these days, but so far have been unsuccessful. We will continue to seek physician coverage for these dates, and if we do secure coverage, we will advise the community via a further public notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause,” it said in a press release issued by Interior Health.
Residents should take note of the following if they require care when the emergency department is closed:
In the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
· Visit the emergency department at Penticton Regional Hospital.
· Call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 (24-hour service), if you are unsure about your need to go to the emergency department.
Please take note of the following:
· The emergency department will close on June 4 at 8 a.m. and will reopen the next day at 8 a.m.
· The emergency department will close on June 5 at 6 p.m. and will reopen the next day at 8 a.m.
· The emergency department will remain open outside of these hours.
· Regular emergency department service will resume on Tuesday, June 6 at 8 a.m.