A motorhome exploded Sunday in the tiny community of Coalmont Sunday, putting the entire region at risk of wildfire.
“We were very fortunate in Coalmont this morning that the whole village didn’t catch fire,” said Bob Sterne, who owns the Mosey-On-Inn with his wife Diane.
“A motorhome-fifth wheel trailer parked on Front Street, and owned by some new Coalmont residents, caught fire and went up in a ball of flame, with many explosions from propane tanks as well, and one power transformer,” he said.
The Tulameen Volunteer Fire Department had the blaze under control in 30 minutes, said Sterne.
“A very rapid response by the Tulameen Fire Department saved the day.”
Fire chief Jody Woodford was not available to comment.
There is no report of injuries.
Fire fears are high in Coalmont and Tulameen this weekend, with a 3,300 hectare forest fire in the region still in mop up stage, extreme dry conditions and 4,000 visitors to the area for the popular Tulameen Days festival.
The province has banned campfires throughout BC, and smoking and off-road vehicles in the backcountry were prohibited Friday.