Update: Storm warning lifted

A special weather statement has been issued for the Shuswap, South, Central and North Okanagan.

UPDATE: Friday, May 5, 8:30 a.m.

The storm warning has been lifted and the forecast has become a lot more mild.

There will be showers ending late this evening then the forecast calls for cloudy skies with 60 per cent chance of showers. Saturday will be mainly cloudy with 40 per cent chance of showers, and a high temperature of 15 C.

UPDATE: Friday, May 5, 7:30 a.m.

If you enjoyed last night’s storm you might be in luck.

Environment Canada has issued a storm watch alert that spans the Okanagan valley.

“Conditions are favourable for the developemnt of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain,” reads the statement from the national weather agency.

The government agency also laid out the risks of such weather.

Large hail, they advise, can damage property and cause injury. Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.

“Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year,” reads the statement. “Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors.”

UPDATE:

Thunder and lightning is moving up the valley as heavy rains and wind hit the region.

Reports of sheet lightning and large fork lightning are coming in.

Power has also flickered on and off in the Valley.

A ‘Special weather statement’ issued by Environment Canada is still in effect for the Shuswap and entire Okanagan Valley.

Meteorologists say to expect thunderstorms with heavy downpours.

“A Pacific cold front will approach the BC coast this evening. Ahead of the front, conditions will be favourable for thunderstorm development over the southwestern interior of BC tonight,” writes Environment Canada.

“Heavy rain associated with the thunderstorms combined with spring snow melt will lead to rising river levels and may increase the risk of flooding.

“Fast flowing water and adjacent riverbanks will be potentially unsafe.”

The B.C. River Forecast Centre is issuing high streamflow advisories for streams and rivers South Interior, Central Interior and South-East regions of the province.

Send your weather photos to us to display online, by clicking Contact at the top of the Home Page and following the direction.

—-

ORIGINAL:

A special weather statement is in effect for the entire Okanagan Valley. A Pacific cold front approaching the B.C. coast could possibly bring heavy downpours, Thursday night.

According to Environment Canada, conditions will be favourable for thunderstorm development over the southwestern interior of B.C. tonight.

Heavy rain combined with spring snow melt may lead to rising river levels and increase flood risk.

The B.C. River Forecast Centre is issuing high streamflow advisories for streams and rivers South Interior, Central Interior and South-East regions of the province.

Send your weather photos to us to display online, by clicking Contact at the top of the Home Page and following the direction.

Just Posted

Two types of civic engagement in PIB

Some voted in the byelection, others protested the polls, as Penticton Indian Band fissures continue

Penticton Vees look to carry offensive punch to Trail

Penticton Vees scored 28 goals in three games

One person sent to hospital after fire near Keremeos

Fire ripped through a shed and Winnebego at Sunkatchers RV Park Co-operative

Penticton man fights to stay in Canada, keep life-saving health care

If Kris Reyes is denied permanent residency, the cost of his dialysis would run too high to keep up

Electrical box sparks fire in industrial zone

Penticton Fire Department responded to the electrical fire at around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday

One person sent to hospital after fire near Keremeos

Fire ripped through a shed and Winnebego at Sunkatchers RV Park Co-operative

Education minister blasts Chilliwack school trustee on gender issues

Fleming calls Neufeld’s behaviour ‘shameful’ and ‘unacceptable’

BC Transit buses to get safety door for drivers

These new full-length doors will be tested in Victoria, Kelowna and Abbotsford

‘Fresh eyes’ looking into three missing Cowichan Tribes men

First Nations want answers to their disappearances

Pedestrian hit moments after receiving safety reflector from police

The Vancouver Island man was treated for minor injuries by police at the scene

FortisBC LNG site exports first shipment of gas to China

The shipment is part of a pilot project that could see more exports in the future.

BC RCMP hunt for white SUV that rammed cruiser

Kamloops RCMP are looking for a white SUV headed north on the Yellowhead Highway

B.C. to reimburse methadone patients for taking clinic fees off welfare cheques

Provincial government agrees to pay back more than $5.5 million in deducted fees

Stiff fine for B.C. man caught trafficking bear parts

A Cache Creek resident was charged after an undercover sting operation by conservation officers

Most Read