BlackBerry announces 4,500 layoffs, Q2 losses near $1 billion

The Canadian smartphone maker's financial tumbles have been well-documented, with some thinking this is the beginning of the end.

On Friday, Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry announced it is cutting 4,500 jobs, and announced second quarter net operating losses between $950 and $995 million.

The company, based in Waterloo, Ont., said it sold 3.7 million smartphones over the quarter, with revenues totalling $1.6 billion.

Just months ago, BlackBerry unveiled two new smartphones, the Q10 and the Z10, which were designed to combat the increasingly competitive smartphone market – now dominated by Samsung and Apple – while maintaing the business-friendly design that had made the company such a desired product in its better days. According to BlackBerry’s own numbers, the company had 72,000,000 active global subscribers, which is a slight drop-off from 79,000,000 in December, 2012.

With the announcement, BlackBerry shares fell 16 per cent to $9.08 on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and the company’s delayed but continued financial free falls has caused some to believe today’s news leans toward a ticking time bomb, not a step in the right direction.

“Who would want to throw good money after bad?” said Reuters’s Felix Salmon, in an interview on CBC. “There’s a breakup value to the company, but as a going concern, I believe this is the beginning of the end of people walking around with BlackBerrys in their pocket.”

————————————————————

Coverage of BlackBerry’s job cuts and stock tumble from around the Interweb:

“Twitter reacts to 4,500 BlackBerry layoffs” – Trevor Melanson, Canadian Business

“BlackBerry confirms massive layoffs” – Chris Velazco, TechCrunch

“BlackBerry to retreat from consumer market” – Aaron Souppoulis, The Verge

CBC:

Just Posted

Nature Trust of B.C. purchases property in South Okanagan

Parcel will be added to White Lake biodiversity ranch

Popular Similkameen winery grows

Corcelettes winery outside Keremeos has bought more land and is expanding

Update: Warrant issued for Penticton man facing manslaughter charges

Sylvain Modeste Demers is wanted on a warrant

Debt retired on SOEC construction cost

A decade after it opened, loans for constructing the South Okanagan Events Centre have been paid

Water samples good, Hedley awaits drinking water A-OK

Water woes in Hedley had some residents questioning the communication plan of the HID earlier this week

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

Missing man last seen in Shuswap

Red Deer RCMP would like public’s help locating elderly man with dementia last observed in Sicamous

Scholarship smooths road ahead for Okanagan College transfer student

27 students from Okanagan College received awards from the Irving K. Barber Society

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read