(From left) Sue Walker of the Okanagan Falls Heritage and Museum Society, Valerie Blow of the Osoyoos Desert Society, and Isobel Mantle from the Princeton Community Arts Council display the cheques the organizations received at the first 100 Men Who Care meeting for 2019. Photo submitted

100 Men Who Care starts the year off strong

Penticton group has now donated a total of $72,800 to 33 l0cal charities and non-profits

100 Men Who Care Penticton met for the first time this year at TIME Winery & Kitchen on Jan. 23 and raised $6,700 for local non-profits.

The group meets four times per year and pools member money at each meeting to be distributed to three invited charities. The charities present a five-minute presentation about their cause and how this funding will help and the members vote for which charity should take the lionshare of the donation.

The winner receives 80 per cent of the donation and the other two split the remaining 20 per cent. At the latest meeting, the group heard presentations from Osoyoos Desert Society, Okanagan Falls Heritage and Museum Society and Princeton Community Arts Council.

Related: 100 Men Who Care: the New Year begins with sharing

The Osoyoos Desert Society received the most votes and walked away with $5,360 to support their ongoing education progams and their mission to provide opportunities for children to connect with and learna bout nature at the Osoyoos Desert Centre.

The Okanagan Falls Heritage and Museum Society and the Princeton Community Arts Council received $670 each. To date, 100 Men Who Care has donated $72,800 to 33 local nonprofits.

Those in attendance at the January meeting also heard from Jennifer Anderson, reginoal director of the South Okanagan Boys and Girls Club, about how a previous donation from the group helped their operations.

For more information about the next 100 Men Who Care Penticton meeting and membership, visit www.100menpenticton.com. For more information regarding a similar organization for women, visit www.cfso.net, click ‘Programs’ and then click ‘100 Women’.

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.

Just Posted

A campaign encourages families to put down their phones and talk this Mother’s Day

OpenTable’s #DiningMode gets Okanagan restaurants on board with a no phone policy while dining

Okanagan experience for the Blue Man Group

The world tour of the Blue Man Group came to Penticton this week for two shows.

Olympian Andi Naude retires from freestyle skiing

Penticton native skied in 62 World Cup single and dual moguls events in her career

Federal funding helps women at risk safely leave sex trade

The SAFE eXiting from the Sex Trade program in South Okanagan helps women

Syrup commercially produced from Summerland maple trees

Maple Roch produces 50 bottles of syrup after trees in the community were tapped

VIDEO: Driver in bizarre hit-and-run at B.C. car dealership turns herself in

Police believe alcohol was a factor in incident causing estimated $15,000 in damages

‘B.C. cannot wait for action’: Top doctor urges province to decriminalize illicit drugs

Dr. Bonnie Henry says current approach in ‘war on drugs’ has criminalized and stigmatized drug users

B.C. woman, 76, challenges alcohol-screening laws after failing to give breath sample

Norma McLeod was unable to provide a sample because of her medical conditions

New report on 2017 wildfires calls for better coordination with B.C. First Nations

Tsilhqot’in National Government documents 2017 disaster and lists 33 calls to action

Okanagan experience for the Blue Man Group

The world tour of the Blue Man Group came to Penticton this week for two shows.

B.C. youth coach banned amid sexual harassment, bullying scandal: Water Polo Canada

Justin Mitchell can’t take part in Water Polo Canada events or clubs

Wilson-Raybould: Feds want to just ‘manage the problem’ of Indigenous Peoples

Former federal justice minister speaks at First Nations Justice Council meeting in B.C.

Okanagan College names new fundraising director

Helen Jackman will join the college as executive director of the Okanagan College Foundation and director of advancement

Most Read