When Randy Foster heard about the devastating fire at the Clarence House, he started cooking up an idea to help those displaced by the blaze.
“I just felt like they have so much to worry about right now, the least we can do is have some meals set up for them,” said Foster who owns the Nest Restaurant. “We are part of this community so this is a way we can help.”
The Nest has been making comfort meals of soups and sandwiches and bringing them to the hotel where the evacuated residents have been living.
“We’ve had a few people from the fire reach out to us and ask for meals. We’ve also just brought soups that they can heat up in their hotel rooms, and other easy things to eat,” he said.
More than 50 people living at the Clarence House apartment in Skaha were displaced from their homes at 4 a.m. on Tuesday morning when fire ripped through the top floor. Tragically, two died in the fire.
For those displaced, Emergency Social Services has set them up in a hotel and supplied them with immediate needs.
The community has rallied together, some offering a place to stay, others with clothing and gift cards and some with meals.
Other local businesses are also stepping up.
Junk in the Trunk, an online thrift store has offered to donate clothing and household items.
“We are truly sorry to hear about the devastating apartment fire that happened here in Penticton … We can’t even imagine what you are going through,” their Facebook post reads. “We would like to donate to the family’s/individuals affected. We have household items, clothing and furniture.”
The Penticton fire department held a town hall meeting yesterday (Oct. 28). The displaced residents will be out of their homes for some time, said fire chief Larry Watkinson.
Those displaced will have to look to their insurance and strata to secure housing while they wait for remediation of the burned out building.