The Regional District of the Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) is preparing for a potential rise in COVID-19 cases.
On March 13 they announced the activation of their Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) in order to better coordinate with communities and health authorities.
In a release the RDOS and EOC explained they will be working with local and Indigenous governments in all nine electoral areas, as well as the six member municipalities in order to share response plans and guidelines to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. The EOC will be coordinating those plans with Interior Health and provincial and local agencies.
Individuals are advised to follow the same precautions used to avoid contact with other cold and influenza viruses, including:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow.
- If you are feeling unwell, stay home.
- Do a daily clean and disinfection of any frequently touched surfaces.
- If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19 you should immediately call 8-1-1 for an assessment.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has established a toll-free telephone number to answer questions about COVID-19: 1-833-784-4397.