(Black Press file photo)

Long-awaited tennis facility in Penticton faces further delays

City once again postpones plans to replace tennis centre that was lost in 2007.

Penticton has been without an indoor tennis facility since 2007, however the city doesn’t appear to be getting another one any time soon.

The old tennis bubble was removed more than a decade ago to make way for the construction of the South Okanagan Events Centre (SOEC).

Construction of a new indoor court in Penticton has been postponed yet again, but the project could become a reality if private groups come to the city with funding or grants for the project.

READ MORE: Users renew request for indoor tennis facility in Penticton

After reviewing the project in December, city staff recommended council postpone further action on the indoor tennis facility until the city completes an ongoing asset and amenity management review.

Ultimately, council voted in favour of delaying the facility until the asset management review is complete but with an amendment that could see the case re-evaluated if an outside party presents the city with money and/or land for the facility.

The decision to postpone the facility was contentious among councillors. Coun. Katie Robinson expressed strong opposition to delaying the tennis facility even further.

“It’s been through several councils now, and I believe it’s a real need in our community that is not being addressed and has been promised for years,” said Robinson.

Other councillors were concerned about the potential challenges relating to the cost and lack of adequate land for the facility.

“We’re in a situation where financially, it’s very difficult to afford. We have very little information to support need for a structure like this,” said Mayor John Vassilaki.

Council members also discussed the difference between a tennis bubble and a bricks and mortar indoor facility like what is being proposed.

Concerns around the city’s obligation to provide land, capital funding, cover utility cost and create a non-profit organization to run the facility ultimately resulted in council voting 4-2 in favour of further postponing the facility, unless a third-party comes forward with land and/or funding.

READ MORE: City of Penticton supports future development of childcare facility


Jesse Day
Reporter, Penticton Western News
Email me or follow me on Twitter and Instagram
Follow the Western News on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.

Tennis

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

At-home learning for SD67 students to begin April 6

In-classroom learning remains suspended due to COVID-19

Second Vernon-area high school exposed to COVID-19

Kalamalka Secondary School staff, students urged to self-isolate if showing symptoms

COVID-19: BC Transit to limit passengers on Penticton buses

The change is to promote physical distancing

Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen cancels April 2 meeting

Staff working to install videoconferencing system during COVID-19 pandemic

Significant snowfall forecast for Interior mountain passes

Allison Pass, the Okanagan Connector, Rogers Pass and Kootenay Pass could see 15 to 25 cm of snow

Trudeau announces 75% wage subsidy for small businesses amid COVID-19

This is up from the previously announced 10 per cent wage subsidy

World update, 9:30 p.m. March 27: Positive news in Korea as U.S. hits 100,000 cases

The United States now has the most coronavirus cases of any country in the world

VIDEO: Penguins roam empty halls of Vancouver Aquarium

COVID-19 has forced the Vancouver Aquarium to close access to guests – leaving room for its residents

Kids get back to learning in B.C., online

Ministry of Education rolls out new tool for school

67 more B.C. COVID-19 cases, two more deaths in Vancouver region

Positive tests found in Surrey, Langley long-term care facilities

‘Now is not the time to bag that peak’: BCSAR manager discourages risky outdoor adventures

Call volumes are not going down, even as the COVID-19 pandemic persists

Food Banks BC already seeing surge in demand due to COVID-19 pandemic

Executive director Laura Lansink said they expect applications will keep increasing

Nanaimo couple caught aboard cruise ship with four dead and COVID-19 present

Four ‘older guests’ have died on Holland America’s Zaandam; cruise line confirms two COVID-19 cases

Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen cancels April 2 meeting

Staff working to install videoconferencing system during COVID-19 pandemic

Most Read