There’s more than one reason to get excited about upcoming holiday festivities in Penticton.
‘Magic on Main Street’ comes to the city’s downtown core this Sunday, Dec. 3, with both the annual Santa Claus Parade and official light-up ceremony headlining the celebration.
While the parade starts at 4:30 p.m., the light-up ceremony at Gyro Park will kick off at 6:30 p.m.
People are also encouraged to bring food donations for Penticton’s Salvation Army.
“The goal is to fill a BigSteelBox container, which will be placed on-site at Gyro Park,” the city said in a press release.
The two events will bring road closures and free shuttle service to Penticton this weekend.
• Main Street, between Eckhardt Avenue and Westminster Avenue, will be closed to traffic from 3 to 6:15 p.m. The city is asking drivers to move their vehicles from the street in that area by 2:30 p.m. to ensure the route is clear for floats.
• Main Street will be closed, with no parking available, between Westminster Avenue and Lakeshore Drive from 3 to 8 p.m. Anticipate extra parking congestion and heavy foot traffic, the city said.
• Drivers and residents in the area of Penticton Secondary should be aware that there will be slow-moving parade traffic and traffic-control personnel on Eckhardt Avenue between the school and Main Street.
Park and ride shuttle service
Through BC Transit, the city is offering a free shuttle service on Sunday to get people to and from the holiday-themed festivities downtown.
The bus will run on a continuous loop every half-hour between 4 and 7:20 p.m.
The three stops include:
• Cherry Lane Shopping Centre (on Warren Avenue, behind Save-On-Foods)
• Martin Street at Wade Avenue
• Gyro Park (on Martin Street behind the park, near Lakeshore Drive)