If you want a cheap pound of plain ground beef, you can visit your local grocery store. But if you want a memorable meal with quality, local ingredients, Black Sage Butcher is the talk-of-the-Okanagan.
“We opened in late-August 2019, and the word-of-mouth support in our first year has been incredible. Customers drive from as far away as Kelowna because somebody told them they just have to try our steaks,” says Matt Leyes, who owns Black Sage Butcher with his wife Ravina Johal.
7 Customers you’ll meet at Black Sage Butcher
- The foodie who doesn’t know how to cook: Dazzle your tastebuds with confit duck legs, prepared by the experts at Black Sage Butcher. All you have to do is warm them in the oven. Step it up with Matt’s whole boneless chicken stuffed with sausage meat, which you cut like a roast and serve like a champion.
- The foodie who DOES know how to cook: Hunting high and low for Tri-Tip so you can make traditional Southern BBQ? Want to try a Vietnamese soup recipe but can’t find the right ingredients? Black Sage Butcher can help with uncommon cuts, and Matt (who used to be a professional chef) is happy to offer advice on preparation.
- The over-worked parent in a rush: Grab some chicken skewers, in-house marinated pork chops or grill-ready pork ribs and throw them in the oven when you get home. By the time you’ve put together a salad and some mashed potatoes the meat will be ready — healthy family meals in 30 minutes or less.
- The senior with very specific, very serious allergies: If you need to know how the sausage gets made because someone in your family has serious food sensitivities, the staff at Black Sage Butcher have the time and knowledge to make sure you’re safe.
- The vegetarian who needs ethical meat for their family: Black Sage Butcher is committed to quality meat, ethically raised. “Right now the overwhelming majority of our meat comes from within BC, but we look forward to getting even more local in the years to come,” Ravina says. For vegetarians who grocery shop for an omnivore family (or vegetarians who enjoy meat once in a while), Black Sage Butcher is easy on your conscience.
- The one-stop-shopper: Stock up on all your regular cuts with a freezer pack of beef, lamb or pork, and get more bang for your buck!
- The happy couple who just really enjoyed their take-away meal from vinAmité: “We work with some local wineries to supply their restaurants or collaborate on special promotions. Recently we partnered with vinAmité to offer a special Valentine’s Day dinner featuring a classic French dish and bottle of their Petit Claret. One customer came by just to thank us, and say it was the best Coq au Vin they’d ever had in their life!” Matt says. The butcher also offered their own holiday dinner packages at Christmas and Valentine’s Day, and look forward to doing more in the months ahead.