HASH(0xb62b24)

Newfoundland fisherman continues hunger strike protest after call from minister

Fisherman continues hunger strike after call

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — A Newfoundland fisherman is continuing his hunger strike over what he says is Ottawa’s dire mismanagement of stocks, despite getting a phone call from federal Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc, his mother says.

Linda Gillett said Friday that her son Richard Gillett spoke with LeBlanc on Thursday, but isn’t ready yet to give up his protest.

“He’s not accepting that, he wants it in writing that he (LeBlanc) will meet with him,” said Gillett.

She said her son is entering the ninth day of his protest and continues to get weaker due to his lack of nourishment. Gillett said even if her son gets a quick written commitment from LeBlanc, any potential meeting would have to wait until Richard is strong enough.

“He’s to the point where there is confusion,” she said. “He wouldn’t do a meeting justice so he needs one like in a week or so, when he’s back to himself and he can concentrate.”

A spokeswoman for LeBlanc also confirmed the call took place and said Thursday the two have agreed to speak again.

Laura Gareau said LeBlanc expressed concern for Richard Gillett’s health, and urged him to make his health and family a priority.

About three dozen protesters went to the federal fisheries office in St. John’s, N.L., on Thursday to show support for Gillett, who has been staying in a tent outside the office.

Gillett, who is vice-president of the Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL), is also known for his three seasons on the reality show “Cold Water Cowboys.”

He has accused Ottawa of dire mismanagement of stocks ranging from crab to capelin.

Gillett is also seeking an independent review of science and management for all provincial fish stocks and wants a review of the relationship between the Fish, Food and Allied Workers union, representing harvesters, and the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

Gillett has said that he decided on his drastic action last week after LeBlanc refused to meet with him and FISH-NL president Ryan Cleary during their visit to Ottawa.

“There is still dialogue,” Linda Gillett said. “But until he gets that letter from Dominic, it won’t be over.”

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Penticton Lakers curling team headed to high school provincials

Penticton Secondary School Lakers boys curling team will represent the zone at provincials

Premium electric rate for home-based businesses

After more than three decades, home businesses pay the same power rate as other Penticton residents

Penticton cyclist takes city to court over injuries

The man claims a depression in the road caused a crash, resulting in rib and facial fractures

Slayer adds Penticton to North American tour

Slayer adds the South Okanagan Events Centre as a stop on their last world tour

Tagger causes $30,000 damage

Penticton looking for help finding person responsible for graffiti

Tsunami warnings 101: Canada

Here are some things to know about tsunami alerts in Canada and how they work

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

Team chaplain reflects on time with Silverbacks

Kenny Toews served as a mentor and spiritual leader to the team for six seasons

Drawings connect autistic student with the world

Leifen Mitchell-Banks creates colourful cartoon characters at Salmon Arm Secondary.

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

10 Safeways in Lower Mainland to close, union says

Locations in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, Richmond and Mission slated to shut

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

‘Miraculous that nobody was killed’

Tanker full of aviation fuel involved in Highway 3 crash

Most Read