Trial of a man accused of a string of alleged sexual assaults on a young boy is expected to come to a close Friday in Penticton’s B.C. Supreme Court chambers.                                (Dustin Godfrey/Western News)

Trial of a man accused of a string of alleged sexual assaults on a young boy is expected to come to a close Friday in Penticton’s B.C. Supreme Court chambers. (Dustin Godfrey/Western News)

Accused denies boy’s sex assault claims

Penticton’s courthouse heard testimony from a man accused of sex assault on a young boy

**This article contains graphic content that may not be suitable or comfortable for some readers.**

A South Okanagan man accused of sex assault on a young boy flatly denied the allegations in court Thursday morning.

The man, who can only be identified as TB due to a publication ban, took the stand as the defence’s first witness on Thursday, testifying on his relationship with a young boy in 2011 and 2012.

“Did you have any sexual interactions with (the boy) whatsoever at any of the times that you dealt with him?” asked defence lawyer Don Skogstad.

“No,” said TB.

During his testimony, TB described a benign relationship between himself and the boy — testimony that directly contradicted that of the boy.

Related: Boy details graphic allegations of sex assaults

TB, now 26, told the court he first hung out with the boy in the months after TB’s father died in 2011, and the boy came over to his house with his family to support TB and his mother.

The families got together at TB’s house a number of times after that and, according to TB, he would often play video games with the boy. The boy first slept over in October 2011, according to TB, who said the boy’s mother had wanted to go home that night, but the boy was watching a movie with TB and wanted to stay over to finish the movie.

Related: Publication ban remains on alleged sex offender’s name

“He slept in my bed. I slept on my couch in my room,” TB said.

The two had another sleepover in November that year, according to TB, who said there weren’t anymore sleepovers at his house that year. He did go with the boy and his father to the boy’s grandparents’ place on Vancouver Island for Christmas, which he said helped him get away from a situation at home that he wasn’t comfortable with. That was the first time TB and the boy slept on the same mattress together, as all of the beds and couches were taken up in the house.

After returning from Vancouver Island, TB said he gave the boy’s whole family gifts, including an iPod he got for the boy — one of the gifts the boy claimed was being used against him to keep him in a sexual relationship with TB.

In January 2011, TB said the boy came over on three Friday nights to stay the night and go to Mount Baldy with him on the Saturday morning, where he helped teach the boy to snowboard. At that time, TB said the boy slept on the bed, while he slept on the couch.

The two did not have any sleepovers in February, according to TB, because the boy’s father was upset that the boy was spending weekends with TB, and not with him at his place in Penticton.

“Did you have a problem with not seeing him at all in February?” Skogstad asked.

“I did not, no,” TB replied.

As he said that, the boy’s mother, who had been visibly shaking her head and often quietly sighed and held her head in her hands after numerous of TB’s responses, left the room, not returning for several minutes.

For the boy’s birthday in March, TB said he gave the boy an old snowboard of his, which was too small for him. TB said he spent a night at the boy’s father’s place that month, where the two shared a mattress on the floor.

In the following weeks, the boy spent another night at TB’s place the night prior to going to a water park in Kelowna, and that was the first time TB said the two shared TB’s bed. He testified the boy noted the two had already shared a bed at the boy’s father’s and grandparents’ places.

In subsequent sleepovers, TB said the two continued to share the bed, including on the anniversary of TB’s father’s death, when TB went to a water park, shopping and to a movie.

While shopping, TB said he bought a toy gun for the boy, which shot gel capsules that contained water.

TB’s testimony followed a three-day case for the Crown, which saw testimony from the boy, his mother and his father.

The boy accused TB of inappropriate touching and sex assault, and using presents to keep him coming back to him.

The trial, originally scheduled for two weeks, is expected to come to a close on Friday.


@dustinrgodfrey

dustin.godfrey@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

(Black Press file photo)
EDITORIAL: Curtailing attempts at scams

The true total of losses from all scams and frauds could be much higher than the figures on file

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

(Drive BC photo)
Vehicle incident closes Highway 3 east of Osoyoos

Drive BC says to avoid the area until the road is clear

Osoyoos chef Murray McDonald was ecstatic upon realizing he scored the $1 million guaranteed prize in the June 2, 2021 Lotto 6/49 draw. (Contributed)
Osoyoos chef ecstatic after bagging $1 million Lotto 6/49 win

Chef Murray McDonald was at home and ready to doze off to sleep when he got a text from his wife

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Photograph By MICHAEL POTESTIO.KTW
Former Kamloops security gaurd wants job back after kicking incident caught on video

Rick Eldridge quit when a video surfaced of him kicking a man outside a facility for homeless

People participated in a walk to honour the 215 children found at a former Kamloops residential school, as well as residential school survivors. (Twila Amato/Black Press Media)
Kelowna marks National Indigenous Peoples’ Day with walk to remember Kamloops 215

“Let’s speak the truth and deal with the truth, and heal.”

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

A home on Cameo Drive sustained major damage due to an early morning fire Monday, June 21. (Roger Knox - Morning Star)
UPDATE: Fire sparked during Vernon home renovation

Heavy black smoke from Cameo Drive home, no one inside

The new Civic Memorial Park will incorporate pieces of the 80-year-old arena it replaces. (Artists rendering)
Pieces of Civic Arena reclaimed for new Vernon park

City centre space to incorporate wood from the historic arena

Most Read