A homeowner’s attempt to thaw their waterline led to a ruptured and burning natural gasline in Kaleden on Feb. 16.
The Kaleden Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call about a house fire at Cottonwood Avenue to find flames jetting from a broken pipe outside the home.
“However it happened, the natural gasline caught on fire, so it was a matter of making sure the house-siding didn’t catch,” said Fire Chief Denis Gaudry.
The water line to the home had frozen outside, and the homeowner had been trying to thaw it, according to Gaudry.
Fifteen firefighters from the Kaleden department and two from the Okanagan Falls Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene.
Gaudry thanked the community for their support for volunteer firefighters.
“People (volunteer firefighters) had to leave to their jobs, so thank them, but also thank their employers who allow them to respond,” said Gaudry. “Recognizing the support that firefighters get from their employers is great.”
There were no injuries, and only some smoke damage to the structure.
The gas and water were restored for the homeowner once the line was repaired.
To report a typo, email: email@example.com.