Andrew Bradley Miller is in custody, awaiting a bail hearing set for July 5, on one count of attempted murder using a firearm and another of possession of a firearm while prohibited following a May 28 shooting in Oliver that left one man with a gunshot wound in the face.                                Dustin Godfrey/Western News file photo

Andrew Bradley Miller is in custody, awaiting a bail hearing set for July 5, on one count of attempted murder using a firearm and another of possession of a firearm while prohibited following a May 28 shooting in Oliver that left one man with a gunshot wound in the face. Dustin Godfrey/Western News file photo

Attempted murder charge approved in Oliver shooting late last month

Andrew Bradley Miller, 30, is charged with attempted murder with a firearm for the May 28 shooting

The Crown has approved an attempted murder charge in relation to an Oliver shooting late last month.

Andrew Bradley Miller, 30, is charged with possessing a firearm while prohibited and the attempted murder of Tyler Newton with a firearm from an incident on May 28, according to court documents, with charges sworn on June 1.

Related: Penticton RCMP called to help with Oliver shooting

Miller made an appearance in court Wednesday morning, with the intention of making an application, however the matter was adjourned to July 5 for a bail hearing.

Miller has had three attempted bail hearings on the charges since June 1, but each of those has been adjourned.

Court records show Miller has one past conviction of possessing a firearm contrary to order in Kamloops from December 2015.

Related: Jury convicts trio on kidnapping charges

Miller, along with his mother and her partner, were also convicted in April 2011 of unlawful confinement, kidnapping and assault causing bodily harm from a February 2009 incident that started in Oliver and ended in Summerland.

Penticton RCMP said in a May 31 news release that the Serious Crime Unit and General Investigation Section had been called to assist in a pair of incidents in Oliver, including a May 18 home invasion and a May 28 shooting.

Police said they had attended the May 28 incident at a problem residence on Road 6 at around 9 p.m. after a man had been presented to the South Okanagan General Hospital with a gunshot wound to the face. Police said the man was then transported to Kelowna General Hospital and had since released.

Related: RCMP make arrest in Oliver shooting

Police issued a follow-up release on June 7 to advise that a 30-year-old Oliver man had been arrested on June 1 with unspecified charges recommended.

Police did not indicate if the May 18 and May 28 incidents were connected.

Just days prior to the shooting, on May 24, a man named Tyler Winston Thomas Newton was charged with one count each of drug possession, weapons, flight from police and dangerous driving from a May 23 incident. That same day, he was charged with possessing a firearm contrary to order from another incident also on May 23.

Court records show he had been released after a May 24 bail hearing.