A bird on a wire caused a small fire and power outages for a portion of the city Sunday afternoon.
Residents near the transmission station on Abbott Street were shocked to hear an explosion around 3 p.m.
“I was worried it was the transmission station,” Zoe Kirk, a resident who lives a few streets over said. “It sounded like a transformer blew or a propane tank or something.”
A Penticton fire crew quickly attended the scene and doused the dry grass around the area.
A piece of the bird’s leg that perished in the incident was on the roadway.
It’s not known how many hydro customers are affected by the outage. Crews are working to restore power now.