Sixteen properties on Green Lake Road in Area D (Kaleden/OK Falls) received a Local State of Emergency and Evacuation Alert Thursday afternoon.
“Increased rainfall is expected over the weekend and will possibly result in the cresting of Green Lake. Potential overflows may cause flooding of homes, property and hinder transportation access along a portion of Green Lake Road. The threat of flooding poses potential danger to life, health and property damage for the properties listed below,” a press release from the Emergency Operations Centre of the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen stated.
Pumping of the lake is expected to begin Fri., April 13 after engineers design a course of action. The RDOS received funding through Emergency Management B.C. (EMBC) to do the work.
RDOS is assisting in delivering notices to the 16 affected properties. Affected residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, residents may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
Included in the evacuation order are:
2563 Green Lake Rd; 2487 Green Lake Rd; 2628 Green Lake Rd; 2575 Green Lake Rd; 2584 Green Lake Rd; 2625 Green Lake Rd; 2580 Green Lake Rd; 2451 Green Lake Rd; 2490 Green Lake Rd; 2501 Green Lake Rd; 2674 Green Lake Rd; 2622 Green Lake Rd; 2711 Green Lake Rd; 2521 Green Lake Rd; 2216 Highway 97 and 2228 Highway 97.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN EVACUATION ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an EVACUATION ALERT, residents should be prepared for immediate evacuation by:
• Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a meeting place outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated;
• Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), cellphone chargers, immediate care needs for dependents and, if chosen, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure;
• Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children;
• Moving pets and livestock to a safe area;
• Arranging to transport household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. Affected residents needing transportation assistance from the area can call 250-492-0237;
• Arranging accommodation for family members if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required;
• Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres.
For more information please visit www.rdos.bc.ca, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, call 250-490-4225