A fire that started on the stairs to the deck of a Keremeos home was extinguished before it spread on Sunday morning.
Keremeos Fire Chief Jordy Bosscha said, they arrived to find the stairs on fire but were able to put out the blaze quickly without having too much damage.
For the most part, the stairs are still usable, he added.
The fire started at 9 a.m. at a home on Highway 3 and Keremeos Bypass.
It’s suspected the fire was started by smokers material but that hasn’t been confirmed, said Bosscha.
The Keremeos Fire Department had a busy July 15, responding to multiple fires.
The largest of the blazes, which started on 10th Avenue, consumed a shed.
That fire, despite being located just outside the village limits, proved to have some difficulties with rubberneckers choking the way for the fire trucks to reach the blaze.
“There were so many people stopping to look at what was going on, stopping in the middle of the road, and then when the people do see a firetruck coming, they pull over to opposite sides of the road, making it so narrow it’s difficult to get a truck through,” said Bosscha.
To report a typo, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.