Kamloops this Week                                Kamloops this Week

Kamloops this Week Kamloops this Week

Former student sentenced for calling in bomb threat to Kamloops school

Colby Adamson pleaded guilty to a number of charges in Kamloops provincial court

  • Dec. 3, 2019 2:37 p.m.

An 18-year old former Kamloops student with a number of mental-health and behavioural issues will spend another 10 days in prison after calling in a bomb threat to Sa-Hali secondary in September.

Colby Adamson pleaded guilty to a number of charges in Kamloops provincial court on Monday, expressing remorse for his actions while fighting back tears.

Justice Stella Frame sentenced Adamson to 115 days in jail, but after factoring in the past 70 days he has spent in pre-trial custody at Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre — calculated at 1.5 days for every day served — he was credited with 105 days, leaving a little more than a week left on his sentence.

Frame handed Adamson an 80-day sentence for calling in the threat, 30 days for threats of violence he made about a month before that incident to security guards at Lansdowne Village and five days for breaching bail conditions.

READ MORE: Bomb threats, gunfire, kidnapping: Drug war rocks Kamloops

Crown prosecutor Samantha Behling detailed the circumstances of the Sept. 20 bomb threat, stating a call was received at Sa-Hali secondary at about 8 a.m. from a male with a deep voice who said, “There’s going to be a bomb in the next 30 hours.”

The call was reported to principal Rachael Sdoutz and Kamloops Mounties responded, who asked her to lock all doors except the main entrance.

“She was also advised to have staff members stationed at the main entrance to check all the individuals that were coming in to the school,” Behling said.

Officers advised that soccer and volleyball games scheduled for that weekend at the school be cancelled and relocated due to the threat. Police then tracked the phone number of the call to an address on Tranquille Road on the North Shore, where they spoke with the owner of the phone.

When officers questioned the man, he said he often let his friend, Adamson, use his phone as Adamson didn’t have one. He also said Adamson had been at his apartment the previous night and they had each done a hit of acid. The next morning, he said, Adamson told him before leaving that he was going to be in trouble as he had called in a bomb threat using the phone.

Behling said the phone’s call history showed a call was made to Sa-Hali secondary at 7:58 a.m. on the morning of Sept. 20. Police then called Sdoutz, who told officers school staff had also identified a possible suspect, who they also identified as Adamson.

“Mrs. Sdoutz stated that students had overheard Mr. Adamson on the bus in the morning bragging about how he had called in a bomb threat,” Behling told the court.

READ MORE: Police probe third threat against a Kamloops high school in eight days

Adamson was arrested that afternoon by police.

The Crown called for a sentence of 157 days in jail — 120 days for the bomb threat, 30 days for threatening the security guards and seven days for the breach.

Defence lawyer Jeanine Ball asked for time served, stressing Adamson is a young adult offender with limited mental capacity as factors that need to be taken into account in sentencing.

Ball said Adamson committed the offences within a month after his 18th birthday, struggles with a number of mental-health and behavioural issues and has been identified as having an IQ of 56.

She also noted this was Adamson’s first time in custody — during which he has been at the maximum-security Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre.

“And that’s been quite an overwhelming experience,” Ball said.

She detailed an account from a correctional officer who had checked in on Adamson in his cell on one occasion.

“During the whole conversation, he [Adamson] sat in the middle of his bed, crying. He was hugging his knees, rocking back and forth. He stated that all he wants is to leave, he wants to get out, he wants to see his dad. Jail was scary. He’s learned his lesson. He feels stupid for what he did,” Ball said.

Ball said Adamson is not currently attending school, but was a student at the Twin Rivers Education Centre in the past and intends to return.

Frame described the bomb threat as a serious offence that required a significant sentence, but wasn’t satisfied the Crown’s request of four months was appropriate.

“You’re an adult, you’re responsible for your actions,” Frame told Adamson, noting he frightened people and forced staff to lock down the school and treat its students like criminals.

“There’s no greater threat you can make against a community than to harm its children,” Frame said.

There were seven bomb threats made against School District 73 schools in September — four of which were in the form of graffiti scrawled on school buildings. Of the seven threats, three were made against Sa-Hali secondary.

At the time, school district officials said they were considering installing cameras and other measures to address the rash of threats.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Police are asking for public assistance in locating Anthony Graham who has been charged with the murders of Kamloops brothers Carlo and Erick Fryer. (RCMP photo)
2 Penticton-area men charged with Kamloops brothers’ double homicide

Brothers Erick and Carlo Fryer were found deceased in May in Naramata

(File photo)
Penticton not holding Canada Day activities out of respect for Indigenous people

Cities across B.C. are cancelling the holiday after an increased spotlight on Canada’s dark history

Fruit farmers in the Okanagan and Creston valleys are in desperate need of cherry harvesters amid COVID-19 work shortages. (Photo: Unsplash/Abigail Miller)
‘Desperate’ need for workers at Okanagan cherry farms

Fruit farmers are worried they’ll have to abandon crops due to COVID-19 work shortages

JAK's Liquor Store in Penticton will be donating 10 per cent of its sales on Saturday, June 19, to the Penticton Salvation Army Food Bank. (Photo from JAKS.com)
Stock up your liquor cabinet and support the Penticton food bank

Jak’s beer and wine store is donating a portion of sales to local food banks Saturday

The illegal open fire above Naramata continues to smoke on Friday, June 18. The fire was left to burn itself out by BC Wildfire. (Monique Tamminga - Western News)
Illegal open burn in Naramata will be left to smoke

BC Wildfire could not confirm whether the property owner had been fined

A small pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins pass by close to shore in Campbell River June 16, 2021. Still capture from video courtesy of Kimberly Hart
VIDEO: Dolphin sunset captured from Vancouver Island shore

Spectacular setting for view of travelling pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins

Rita Coolidge played the main stage at Vancouver Island Musicfest in 2017. (Black Press file photo)
This year’s Vancouver Island MusicFest to virtually showcase beauty of Comox Valley

Returning July 9 through 11 with more than 25 hours of music performances

British Columbia’s premier says he’s received a second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. (Twitter/John Horgan)
B.C. premier gets 2nd dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

John Horgan shared a photo of himself on social media Friday afternoon holding a completed vaccination card

A lotto Max ticket is shown in Toronto on Monday Feb. 26, 2018.THE CANADIAN PRESS
No winning ticket sold for Friday’s $70 million Lotto Max jackpot

The huge jackpot has remained unclaimed for several weeks now

Earls On Top at 211 Bernard Avenue in Kelowna. (Google Maps photo)
Downtown Kelowna’s Earls ordered closed after COVID-19 transmission

Earls on Top on Bernard Avenue will be closed from June 18 to June 27

A motorycle crash has been reported on Westside Road. (Google Maps)
UPDATE: Westside Road reopened following motorcycle crash near Vernon

AIM Roads advises drivers to expect delays due to congestion

Dereck Donald Sears. (Contributed/Crimestoppers)
Murder charge laid in relation to suspicious Kelowna death

Dereck Donald Sears is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Darren Middleton

Albert Health Minister Tyler Shandro and Alberta Premier Jason Kenney unveil an opening sign after speaking about the Open for Summer Plan and next steps in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, in Edmonton, Friday, June 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta 1st province in Canada to lift all COVID-19 public health restrictions

70.2% of eligible citizens 12 and older in the province have received a dose of the vaccine

Most Read