Dane Stanway. (IHIT)

Dane Stanway. (IHIT)

‘I want my son back’: B.C. mother pleads for information on man missing since 2016

Dane Stanway has been missing since spring 2016

It was Mother’s Day in 2016, and Dana Bosch knew something was wrong.

Her son, Dane Stanway, didn’t call her.

“I knew something was wrong,” Bosch said in a statement released by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) Wednesday (Nov. 18).

“It’s been four years, six months and 10 days since Mother’s Day 2016, when I did not hear from my son.”

Just twelve days before that Mother’s Day, Stanway had spent four days with his mom and sister “resting to get away from his life.”

Stanway had been fighting addiction, and although he had detoxed, he had relapsed.

“He left with a plan to change his life completely, to move away from the sunshine coast, to get and stay clean,” Bosch said of the four-day trip.

“Dane called me on May 1, the last conversation I would ever have with my boy. He was happy and excited to do it right this time,” Bosch daid. “After many years of battling addiction, he was ready to be the true version of himself, to free himself of shame, remorse and the constant control of addiction.”

But then Stanway disappeared. He was reported missing on May 12, 2016, Homicide investigators believe the then 27-year-old may have met with foul play.

Prior to his disappearance, Stanway lived in a house on Gilmour Road in Gibsons, on the Sunshine Coast. Nothing has been heard from him since his disappearance.

“Dane has been missing and presumed to have met with foul play and deceased, but how do we know and will we ever? I have no body, no conviction and none of his belongings. Living with this situation is devastating for me, my family and Dane’s friends. It is a daily challenge affecting our energy, ability to focus and get through everyday life. It is a very surreal situation; one I would pray no one has to endure,” Bosch said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448), or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

Full statement from Dana Bosch:

My name is Dana Bosch. I am the Mumma of Dane Stanway. It’s been 4 years, 6 months and 10 days since Mother’s Day 2016, when I did not hear from my son. I knew something was wrong! Twelve days earlier, he had spent four days with his sister and I, resting away from his life. He left with a plan to change his life completely, to move away from the sunshine coast, to get and stay clean! Dane had experienced a plant medicine detox that helped greatly unfortunately he went home to his old life, this time he was going to be prepared fully for a new start. Dane called me on May 1, the last conversation I would ever have with my boy. He was happy and excited to do it right this time. After many years of battling addiction, he was ready to be the true version of himself, to free himself of shame, remorse and the constant control of addiction. That Chance was taken from him! This is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

Stand here and plea on live TV, telling the world I don’t know where my son is!

Dane has been missing and presumed to have met with foul play and deceased, but how do we know and will we ever? I have no body, no conviction and none of his belongings. Living with this situation is devastating for me, my family and Dane’s friends. It is a daily challenge affecting our energy, ability to focus and get through everyday life. It is a very surreal situation; one I would pray no one has to endure.

Dane was the sweetest boy, a thoughtful and kind son, a loving supportive brother, a true friend. He is missed, so very missed by many. It has been painful and heart breaking to witness his little sister’s life be turned upside down and devastated by his disappearance. Heartbreaking to watch her live with the unknown and the hope he may still be alive. We are in pain, lost, confused. These feelings and emotions will never go away until we know where Dane is and that those responsible for taking his life from us are in prison and paying for their atrocious actions. Closure is a need a necessity for us as humans to be able to move forward, to let go, and to accept a reality, a reality no one wants to experience. I want my son back.

To those people out there who have information that could bring closure to us, I say to you we all have a choice in this life, every choice has an effect on you and the life of others. I do forgive those involved, as I understand addiction, mental health and trauma. I understand that “Hurt People Hurt People”; wounded traumatized people without the skills or support to find their way back to a path of healing and love, do horrible things. I know you are out there and that you know what happened to Dane. You heard or saw something. I know you know where my son’s body is. You have information and I know you are scared. You are a human being with a heart and I trust your heart knows what is right, to give the information that can set Dane’s family and friends free from this nightmare. We have not forgotten. We have not let this go. And we will never let this go. I know I am far from alone on this path of experiencing a traumatic loss, overdose, suicide or murder of a loved one. I send prayers and healing to you and the souls crossed over.

Today I stand for my son, Dane Stanway. Thank you for listening.


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

missing personRCMP

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A man wearing a face mask to help curb the spread of COVID-19 walks in downtown Vancouver, B.C., Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020. The use of masks is mandatory in indoor public and retail spaces in the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
104 new COVID-19 cases in Interior Health

IH is reporting the new numbers since Friday, Nov. 20

7-year-old Mackenzie Hodge from Penticton sent a hand-written letter to premiere John Horgan asking if she’d be able to see her elf, Ralph under the new coronavirus restrictions. (John Horgan / Twitter)
Elf on the shelf an acceptable house guest, B.C. premier tells Penticton girl

A 7-year-old from Penticton penned a letter asking if she’d be allowed to see her elf this year

Last year’s Toys for Tots and Teens was a huge success as was high school driven . Because of COVID restrictions, it can’t happen this year but organizers, including high school students, have come up with a two-week campaign called Penticton Provides. (submitted)
Pen High’s 10,000 Tonight food drive cancelled, replaced by bigger ‘Penticton Provides’

New campaign of caring during COVID will go from Nov. 26 to Dec. 10

The Peach is adhering to the mandatory mask protocols put in place by the Provincial Health Officer on Nov. 19. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Masks required at all Penticton facilities, including the gym and pool

New provincial order requires masks at all public facilities

Penticton Search and Rescue along with the Penticton Fire Department located and airlifted an injured 21-year-old female hiker Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020. (Mike Biden photo)
Penticton search and rescue airlifts injured hiker off mountain

There has been an unprecedented amount of calls for search and rescue this year

People wearing face masks to help curb the spread of COVID-19 cross a street in downtown Vancouver, on Sunday, November 22, 2020. The use of masks is mandatory in indoor public and retail spaces in the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. reports 17 COVID deaths, 1,933 new cases as hospitalizations surge over the weekend

There are 277 people in hospital, of whom 59 are in ICU or critical care

An aerial shot of Cedar Valley Lodge this past August, LNG Canada’s newest accommodation for workers at the project site in Kitimat. This is where several employees are isolating after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared last Thursday (Nov. 19). (Photo courtesy of LNG Canada)
Forty-one positive COVID-19 cases associated with the LNG Canada site outbreak in Kitimat

Thirty-four of the 41 cases remain active, according to Northern Health

A concept rendering of the proposed Costco at the corner of Baron, Leckie and Springfield roads. (WSP Global)
Contentious Kelowna Costco relocation moved to public hearing

Costco looking to move less than a kilometre away to build a larger store with more parking, gas bar

Workers arrive at the Lynn Valley Care Centre seniors home, in North Vancouver, B.C., on Saturday, March 14, 2020. It was the site of Canada’s first COVID-19 outbreak in a long-term care facility. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Rapid tests ‘not a panacea’ for care homes, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

B.C. lacks capacity for daily tests of thousands of workers

(Delta Police Department photo)
Cannabis edibles found in Halloween bag lead B.C. police to illegal lab

Delta police arrested a man and a woman while executing a warrant at a residential property Nov. 20

RCMP pictured at a motor vehicle incident during snowy conditions. (Phil McLachlan - Black Press Media)
B&E, stolen car in Vernon lands Whitehorse man in cuffs

Suspect takes off on foot in attempts to evade arrest

Salmon Arm RCMP nabbed two Calgary suspects in an allegedly stolen vehicle on Highway 1 on Nov. 22, 2020. (File photo)
Salmon Arm RCMP use spike belts on Highway 1 to nab Calgary suspects

Arrests occur after Revelstoke RCMP clock allegedly stolen vehicle going faster than 160 km/h

RCMP stayed with the vehicle until it was towed to a secure lot. (Black Press file photo)
Armoured truck carrying millions of dollars crashes near Princeton

The incident occurred after the truck hit an elk on the road

Most Read