Lightning strikes turn up the heat on fire season

Kamloops region has seen 85 human-caused fires and 74 caused by lightning so far this year

Lightning strikes in the past two weeks have raised the number of forest fires to more historical numbers.

“We usually see 50 per cent human-caused and 50 per cent lightning-caused. So far this year we have had 85 person-caused fires and 74 as a result of lightning,” said Kevin Skrepnek, a fire information officer for the Kamloops region with the B.C. Wildfire Management Branch. “The lion’s share of the lightning-caused fires were caused in the past week or so and the activity was right across the region.”

Even with the rainy weather in June, fire information officers were alarmed at the amount of human-caused forest fires. Up until the storms, human-caused fires far outnumbered natural-caused blazes — only three out of 85 fires being naturally caused.

“Even though we have had a few weeks of rain and cool weather, it doesn’t take long for it to dry out,” said Skrepnek. “What is concerning to us is those fires have burned more than 600 hectares of land. To put it into perspective, all of the 2011 fire season we saw a little over 600 hectares burned. So just in the last three months we have seen almost as much fire as we experienced in all of last year. That is pretty high for this time of year.”

The B.C. Wildfire Management Branch watches closely as storms roll through the region with a real-time lightning detection system that catches around 90 per cent of the strikes. Skrepnek said they watch for positive strikes that typically take place farther away from the centre of the storm.

“Typically those will be a dry lightning strike because it is farther out from where the rain will be. It has an 80 per cent chance of carrying enough current to start a fire, where a negative strike, which usually takes place closer to the centre of the system, usually has a 20 per cent chance of starting a fire,” said Skrepnek.

One human-caused fire destroyed a residence just south of Penticton last month and quickly jumped up the hillside towards the forest. B.C. Wildfire was alerted by the public through their tip line and fought the blaze with air tankers, helicopters and a foot crew. A small grass fire that consumed just 0.3 hectares off White Lake Road on Monday had six firefighters, a response officer and helicopter that did bucketing over a three-hour period to douse that blaze.

“The area this occurred in has a pretty low fire danger rating if you look at the raw statistics. It goes to show that it is still very dry out there and it doesn’t take long to dry out,” said Skrepnek. “We want to make sure people are still vigilant out there … we are encouraging people not to get complacent with fire.”

Skrepnek also emphasized the valuable resource the public is when it comes to reporting forest fire activity. To report a fire call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 from a cellphone.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Toronto Public Health nurse Lalaine Agarin makes preparations at Toronto’s mass vaccination clinic, Jan. 17, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
3 deaths, 234 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health over the weekend

One death connected to outbreak at Kamloops’ Royal Inland Hospital, where 20 patients and 28 staff have tested positive

Head Brewer Kody Rosentreter, owner Wes Greve and taproom manager Lisa Deleo celebrated North Basin Brewing’s grand opening Jan. 22 and 23, 2020. (Contributed)
Osoyoos’ first microbrewery celebrates grand opening

The brewery hopes to show that the Okanagan is more than just wine country

Once complete, the Ambrosia in Keremeos will house more than 100 seniors, families and those on disability. (LSCSS photo)
Keremeos affordable housing suites coming along

Once complete, Ambrosia will house more than 100 people

Penticton Search and Rescue completed two rescues in succession of each other Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021 afternoon. (PENSAR / Facebook)
Penticton Search and Rescue members execute back-to-back rescues

PENSAR had barely completed their first rescue of the day when they received a second call

(THE NEWS – files)
Snowy days ahead for the Okanagan and Shuswap

The region could get up to 5 cm by Thursday

Crews with Discovery Channel film as an Aggressive Towing driver moves a Grumman S2F Tracker aircraft around a 90-degree turn from its compound and onto the road on Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021. It was the “most difficult” part of the move for the airplane, one organizer said. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
VIDEO: Vintage military plane gets towed from Chilliwack to Greater Victoria

Grumman CP-121 Tracker’s eventual home the British Columbia Aviation Museum on Vancouver Island

Heather Barker. (File)
Manslaughter charge laid in Vernon woman’s 2018 death

Shaun Ross Wiebe, 43, faces manslaughter and assault charges related to the death of Heather Barker

Zaudanawng “Jay-Dan” Maran in his Creston home. Hanging on the wall behind him is a logo of Kachin’s Manaw festival. Photo: Aaron Hemens
From Myanmar to Creston: The story of a refugee

In October 2007, Zaudanawng “Jay-Dan” Maran and his friends encountered a woman being sexually assaulted by two Myanmar soldiers.

Kamloops This Week.
48 COVID-19 cases and one death associated with outbreak at Kamloops hospital

One of the 20 patients infected has died, meanwhile 28 staff with COVID-19 are isolating at home

The City of Vernon is sending a letter to the provincial government to request that church be deemed an essential service amid the pandemic. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)
Vernon mayor scolded for revealing stance on making church essential

Coun. Scott Anderson calls Cummings’ actions ‘arrogant’

The scene of a serious crash on Highway 33 in Kelowna that killed one and severely injured two others on June 20, 2018. (File)
Driver found guilty of causing death, injury in 2018 Kelowna crash

Travis Ryan Hennessy will face sentencing at a later date

(Michael Rodriguez - Capital News staff)
Downtown stairwell fire suspicious, Kelowna RCMP say

Crews were called to Gotham Nightclub for a report of a stairwell fire

Rolling seven-day average of cases by B.C. health authority to Jan. 21. Fraser Health in purple, Vancouver Coastal red, Interior Health orange, Northern Health green and Vancouver Island blue. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
2nd COVID vaccine doses on hold as B.C. delivery delayed again

New COVID-19 cases slowing in Fraser Health region

Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran addresses media from the front steps of council chambers on March 23. (Michael Rodriguez - Capital News)
Kelowna, West Kelowna still looking to opt-out of speculation tax

Mayors say spec tax has missed the mark, revenue largely coming out of Canadians’ pockets

Most Read