Loans, taxes and more on Penticton council agenda

Penticton city council is considering a loan to the Sicamous society at its next council meeting

The SS Sicamous Marine Heritage Society wants to construct a new pier-like entrance for the Penticton icon. Illustration courtesy City of Penticton

Penticton city council may have slowed down on revitalization plans, but the SS Sicamous Marine Heritage Society is intent on continuing to improve the area the area around the Penticton icon.

There are no plans to paint the sternwheeler purple, but the society wants to construct a pier-like deck alongside the boat, creating a new entrance facing the Lakeshore Drive promenade. To help them along, council is considering a $50,000 interest free loan, with 75 per cent paid back to the city by March 30, 2019. The remaining 25 per cent would be provided to the society as cash grant.

Council meets on April 4 at 1 p.m. in the city hall council chambers to consider the Sicamous project and a range of other issues.

Coming out of the Transportation Advisory Committee is a recommendation city council support a proposed development on the vacant lot left after Slack Alice’s burned to the ground in 2012. Developer Bruce Schoenne is negotiating with OGO Car Share Co-op to bring in a car at a location close to the development that will be available for the entire community to use.

Council is also considering whether to extend the City of Penticton Home Energy Loan Program, which started in 2013, and offers loans to residential customers to retrofit their homes to be more energy efficient. The program is scheduled to end on Dec. 31, 2017 but staff would like to see it extended to the end of 2019.

So far, less than 50 per cent of the $1.17 million budgeted for the program has been spent, and less than 50 percent of the targets have been achieved. The staff report points out that this is a low-risk program, with no city customers defaulting on loan payments so far, and the project has brought in about $38,000 interest.

Overall, the program has resulted in an estimated 85,398 kWh of energy savings, about what eight homes would use in a year.

Changes to the property tax multipliers are also on the agenda, with staff recommending the city pause reducing the plan to reduce the business tax rate multiplier to 1.50 by equal increments over four years. If approved, this year’s rate will stay at 1.58.

The Arena Task Force is recommending city council endorse several of their findings, including that the city needs four arenas to continue providing the current level of services and programs. The task force has also worked a recommendation for a multipurpose facility: regulation paying surface and ceiling heights, 200 to 400 seats, desired location at the South Okanagan Events Centre complex.

Just Posted

A proactive approach to the housing crisis

City staff are recommending Penticton help prepare affordable housing proposals

Summerland’s Justin Kripps completes first double-medal weekend of career

High-powered Canadian bobsledders celebrate four-man silver at World Cup in Igls

Frank Venables Theatre recipient of Canada Cultural Spaces Grant

The Franks Venables Theatre in Oliver has some new gear, thanks to… Continue reading

Passersby help stop spread of Cawston coop fire

Two people driving by Saturday woke a family and helped stop the spread of a fire in a chicken coop

Blowing snow, slippery sections on Okanagan Connector

Compact snow, poor visibility on Highway 97 from Pennask Summitt to Brenda Mines.

All aboard the Summerland Christmas Express

The first train of the Summerland Christmas Express schedule.

Canadian grocers make $3M per year from penny-rounding: UBC study

Ottawa announced plans in 2012 to phase out the copper coin

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

B.C. anti-hate campaigner finds Google search on his efforts redirects to porn

Text from online news article about Cran Campbell being used to link to suspect websites

2 couples tie the knot in Australia’s 1st same-sex weddings

West Australian couple Anne Sedgwick, Lyn Hawkins have been together for 40 years

‘The Last Jedi’ opens with $220M, 2nd best weekend all-time

As anticipated, the movie fell shy of the opening weekend for J.J. Abrams’ 2015 franchise reboot

B.C. concert promoter bans Nazi symbols at shows

A man was witnessed making a Nazi salute during a heavy metal show at Pub 340

EDITORIAL: Putting #MeToo to work in your workplace

Workers from top to bottom need to stand together against the bully of sexual harassment

Meningococcal clinics open this Sunday

Interior Health is stepping up efforts to get young people vaccinated against Meningococcal.

Most Read