Man who downloaded child porn to prove a point sentenced

When Mark Laite’s ex-wife suggested they put young daughter in child modelling, he downloaded explicit images as a warning to her

A Chilliwack man learned a hard lesson this week about downloading child pornography to try to prove a point.

Mark Anthony Brian Laite was sentenced to the mandatory minimum sentence of six months in jail for downloading two explicit sexual images involving men and girls between the ages of four and seven.

Appearing via video in Chilliwack court on Friday because of a serious injury sustained in a vehicle accident, Laite seemed to be having an anxiety attack in the video room of Surrey Pre-Trial Centre.

“I’m having very high anxiety,” Laite said at one point, breathing heavily and sitting down. “I’m very sorry.”

It was the odd — if not mitigating — circumstances surrounding the downloads that had his lawyer and the Crown agreeing to the joint submission.

Defence lawyer Jayse Reveley told the court that Laite was in a phone conversation with his ex-wife who suggested they put their seven-year-old daughter into child modelling as a source of income.

“Mr. Laite was very concerned about that prospect,” Reveley told the court.

The 36-year-old then downloaded the images of child rape and sent them to his ex-wife via Facebook.

“He wasn’t collecting for his own titillation,” Reveley said. “It was a crude and inappropriate reason to dissuade his ex-wife from what Mr. Laite perceived to be some kind of risk.”

Laite’s actions triggered the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in the U.S. to contact the RCMP’s Integrated Child Exploitation (ICE) unit leading to the investigation.

Laite was charged with one count of possession of child pornography and one count of importing/distributing child pornography. He pleaded guilty to the former. The latter count was stayed by the Crown.

Laite, who does have a criminal record from B.C. and who is addicted to methamphetemine, is originally from Newfoundland and told the court he was immediately headed back east after his release to enter a drug treatment program.

“I’m disgusted by the whole thing,” he said. “I’m so sorry.”

By April 7, Laite had been in custody for four months since Dec. 7, so with time-and-a-half credit for time served, he was likely to be released on April 8.

paul.henderson@theprogress.com

@PeeJayAitch

Just Posted

Air support grounded as fires fill the skies with smoke

Heavy smoke throughout the region thwarted efforts of BC Wildfire Saturday, as… Continue reading

Smokey skies don’t dampen spirits at Between the Lakes Pow Wow

Annual Between the Lakes Pow Wow celebrations for the children

Residents raise concerns over Penticton Speedway zoning definition

A public information session will occur sometime in the next month

Evacuation alerts in place for south of Keremeos, Hedley and Princeton

More evacuation alerts - south of Keremeos - were issued Saturday afternoon… Continue reading

‘Beauty amongst such tragedy:’ B.C. photographer captures nature’s trifecta

David Luggi’s photo from a beach in Fraser Lake shows Shovel Lake wildfire, Big Dipper and an aurora

Meet Your Farmer: Ambercott Acres

This week, a look at the permaculture Ambercott Acres farm, from Cawston, BC

Trans Canada Highway opened again near Sicamous

Motor vehicle incident on Highway 1 between Sicamous and Malakwa closed road after 6 p.m.

West Kelowna wildfire evacuation alert rescinded

Alert rescinded Saturday for properties near four lakes within the Gottfriedsen Mountain wildfire

Lions give up late TD in 24-23 loss to Argos

B.C. falls to 3-5, fumbling away last-minute chance in Toronto

Eagle tree cut down legally a 1st for B.C. city

Planned eagle preserve ‘a first for City of Surrey’

Key to the SOEC 2017 winner grateful for experience

Petersen discusses what it’s like to win a year of free concerts at the SOEC

Most Read