Members of the Naramata Fire Rescue Service have been temporarily displaced after a water leak was discovered in the crawl space of their headquarters.
Chief Tony Trovao said he and two other members were in the fire hall on an unusually quiet day about a month ago when they heard the sound of water running below them. They soon discovered a pinhole leak in a fitting on a copper water line that was “misting” the basement area.
In addition to water damage, Trovao said, some mould was also discovered, prompting the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen to bring in a portable building from which the department can work while repairs are underway.
Trovao said it’s still unclear how long the fire hall will be shuttered because the assessment of damage and mould is ongoing.
“They’re just taking all preventative measures now and checking the floors and beams and stuff,” he said.
The chief noted the bay area where fire trucks and equipment are stored is safe for use, but other activities, like training, were moved to the temporary headquarters about two weeks ago.
“Inconvenience, yes. But it’s business as usual. It’s just a matter of modifying (things). We’re good to go and ready to respond to anything,” Trovao said.
RDOS emergency services supervisor Dale Kronebusch said via email a hazard abatement company and structural engineer have been hired to evaluate the scope of the damage.
As of right now, he continued, it’s clear that at least a portion of the building’s subfloor and flooring will need to be replaced.
Kronebusch said the RDOS has filed an insurance claim with a $5,000 deductible to cover the cost of the work and is awaiting test results to determine if there are health concerns for people who were in the building prior to the mould being discovered.