Naramata neighbours douse small fire started by stain can in heat

Can of stain left in sun believed to have been responsible for small fire in Naramata.

Fire officials believe a can of stain left in the sun may have been responsible for a small fire at a Fourth Street residence in Naramata Wednesday.

Chief Will McCutcheon of the Naramata Volunteer Fire Department said no one was home at the time of the fire and it was quickly put out by neighbours.

When fire crews arrived they applied more water and checked the interior of the log structure with a thermal camera to make sure it was completely out.

There was minimal damage.

McCutcheon reminded people to be very careful with highly flammable liquids, especially with the arrival of warmer weather.

A fire last July which gutted a three-level home on Spiller Road was believed to have been caused by cloth rags used for staining that spontaneously combusted.

At that time Chief Wayne Williams of Penticton Fire Rescue advised people to dispose of such materials in airtight containers.