Good progress continues to be made on the Nk’Mip Creek wildfire.
The west side of the fire (nearest to the Okanagan Valley) is inactive at this time. Suppression efforts have been successful on this side and resources have since been moved to the north and east side of the fire, said BC Wildfire on Monday, Aug. 30.
On the north and east sides of the fire, crews continue to work on the fire’s edge with a direct attack. Some small planned ignitions have also been used to reinforce the guards on the east side of the fire near Mount Baldy and will continue Monday if conditions permit.
Crews continue to target hot spots located by thermal imaging scans and patrol areas that have seen suppression activities already.
Last week, properties in the Mount Baldy area were taken off evacuation order and put on alert. Those addresses continue to be on evacuation alert for now, said BC Wildfire.
The fire that started July 19 is burning at just over 20,000 hectares in size as of Monday, Aug. 30.
Nk’Mip hasn’t seen any growth in nearly two weeks.
The Thomas Creek fire is now under control and ground crews have moved over to the Nk’Mip blaze.
There are 67 fire personnel involved in bringing the fire under control.
To report a typo, email: email@example.com.