The fate of a Penticton haunted house is in question.
Ghost Life haunted house, located beside the S.S. Sicamous, would have opened Tuesday (Oct. 27) if it had passed initial inspection from the Penticton Fire Department.
After inspection Tuesday afternoon the fire department found the haunted house was simply too dangerous to open.
“Certain issues have come up and we’re actively working towards getting it to that safe point,” said Penticton’s fire inspector Ken Barbour. “It really slipped through the cracks in that there were no permits taken out so there was no inspection. It came to my attention and things have to change a bit.”
Barbour’s safety concerns were strictly fire hazard related.
The fire department is currently working with the haunted house’s owner / operator Chad White to get the attraction up to code.
Last year, the haunted house had over 750 guests in its first year of operation, according to White.
Barbour said the haunted house was not inspected by the fire department in 2019.
White is currently waiting for the fire departments approval to open while making the necessary changes. He expects to hear from the fire department Wednesday (Oct. 28). If approved, White expects the haunted house will open Wednesday afternoon.
White had originally planned to open the haunted house Oct. 26 but was delayed by the snow.
In compliance with COVID-19 protocols, groups will only be allowed to enter the haunted house one at a time, social distancing will be enforced and masks will be mandatory for all entrants.
|Snow and fire inspection problems delayed the opening of Ghost Life Haunted House by at least two days (Submitted)|