A Penticton man is in custody facing charges of a parent/guardian procuring a child under the age of 18 for prohibited sexual activity and living on the avails of prostitution.
“Our investigation into this sickening case is far from over, as we now turn our sights on the evidence and information identifying a number of men who paid for and engaged in sexual activities with the girl. We are pursuing the matter regarding these men, with an end result of seeking charges against them,” said Cpl. Dan Moskaluk.
The Penticton RCMP General Investigation Section opened their investigation in late May of 2011 and compiled sufficient evidence to arrest the 49-year-old man on July 22. The courts have placed a publication ban on certain information in order to protect the identity of the teenaged girl who was victimized.
The accused man appeared in Penticton court on Thursday and remains in custody until his next court appearance in Penticton on Aug. 10.
The Penticton RCMP Victim Services and Ministry of Children and Family Development continue to be involved in assisting the young girl and providing support in this deplorable situation. Moskaluk said considering what she has endured, case workers and investigators dealing with the girl were touched by her resiliency and strength in dealing with the matter so far to date.