Good morning Penticton. It was a heavy day at city council yesterday with discussions about the Skaha Park lease and a public hearing last night on a proposed development on Kinney Avenue. Here is some news items to get your day started and caught up on what happened yesterday afternoon at council.
1) Once again it will be cloudy in Penticton today with 40 per cent chance of showers during the morning. Check out the full seven-day forecast here.
2) Waterslides will not be built at Skaha Park, but it will cost the City of Penticton to get out of the agreement. Read more: Waterslides taken off the table. The city is holding a media briefing this morning about the revised proposal for the Skaha Marina development. Watch our website for more on this.
3) Uplands Elementary School will receive upgrades to their heating and cooling systems, according to a press release from the province this morning. Read more: Penticton school benefits from school enhancement program.
4) The Royal Canadian Legion in Penticton has kicked off their poppy campaign. Did you know that last year they gave $11,000 to students who had fathers, mothers and grandparents in the service? Read more: Legion kicks off poppy campaign in Penticton
5) Get your water-wings ready. Nickelodeon’s Bubble Guppies Live! Ready to Rock show is coming to Penticton in 2017. Read more: Bubble Guppies announce Penticton show
6) In sports news, the Penticton U18 Heat are looking to continue their domination in the field lacrosse league this weekend and earn a ticket to provincials. Read more: U18 field lacrosse coach wants league championship.
7) In provincial news: It was a chaotic scene at Abbotsford Senior Secondary School yesterday afternoon after a double stabbing that has left one teen dead and another in hospital. One male suspect is in custody. Read more: Teen girl dies after double stabbing