The 20-year-old Penticton woman arrested on Thursday in connection with the April 2017 homicide death of a Penticton man has been released without charges.
In a press release issued Tuesday, RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk said the Penticton and South Okanagan-Similkameen RCMP are continuing their investigation into the April 2, 2017 death of a 17-year-old male.
The man’s companion was taken into custody by Penticton Serious Crime investigators last week and further investigation is pending, according to Moskaluk.
On Sunday April 2, 2017 at approximately 12:24 p.m. the Penticton RCMP was called to assist the B.C. Ambulance Service after a young woman reported that her companion was in medical distress.
Upon the RCMP’s arrival the teenager was located unresponsive inside a Penticton area residence, with BCAS providing CPR to the male.
The man was pronounced deceased at that time. Police said the two were known to each another.
“Although initially believed that the man’s death was attributable to a medical condition, further information and evidence was obtained in August of 2017, which led RCMP investigators and the B.C. Coroners Service, to categorize his death as a homicide. RCMP investigators are continuing their investigation,” said Moskaluk in the release Tuesday.
After news surfaced in late December about a fourth homicide in 2017 which had not previously been made public, Spt. Ted De Jager said in a statement to media:
“As for the fourth, which occurred earlier this year and not last night as some people were erroneously led to believe … there is nothing further to release on this matter. There is no nexus to public safety and the integrity of the investigation outweighs the need to notify the public of the particulars. We will put out a full release if charges are approved.”
No further details about the matter were released Tuesday.