Sagmoen publication ban lifted

The publication ban on the voir dire of Curtis Sagmoen was lifted by Justice Alison Beames Tuesday

A media ban muting the coverage of 38-year-old Curtis Sagmoen’s voir dire hearing was lifted with a few conditions on Tuesday morning.

Media outlets presented arguments against the ban on Monday, and Justice Alison Beames responded by lifting the ban at the Vernon Law Courts with defence lawyer Lisa Helps, Crown prosecutor Simone McCallum and a lawyer representing the CBC and Global on a conference call. Sagmoen was present via a video screen from his locked cell.

Media are attempting to obtain video from the previously blacked-out voir dire hearing. Any video or audio published will need to be edited with Sagmoen’s voice distorted beyond recognition – a condition Beames gave upon lifting the ban.

The video is expected to be released by the court registry this afternoon.

Background:

The lawyer representing the media put forward his argument on Sept. 16, to ease a publication ban effectively blocking the trial of Curtis Sagmoen, but Beames surprised some by putting into effect a secondary publication ban sheltering the presentations. In essence, a publication ban was ordered on a publication ban hearing.

Justice Beames had expected to have her decision on both the voir dire—a trial within a trial—and the publication ban by Monday, however due to delays, she decided to resume court Tuesday morning via conference call with Crown prosecutor Simone McCallum, defence lawyer Lisa Helps and the lawyer representing the media. Her decision on the voir dire will now take place on Monday, Sept. 23.

READ MORE: Mobile needle exchange considered in Vernon

Sagmoen is accused of threatening a sex worker with a shotgun while wearing a mask in August 2017. He has been charged with uttering threats, careless discharge of a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, concealing his face and possession of a controlled substance. Sagmoen pleaded not guilty on all five counts on Sept. 9.

Sagmoen was first arrested in September 2017 in connection to his alleged crimes in late August of that year.

Shortly after his arrest, his parents’ farm was the focus of an extensive search, where police discovered the remains of Traci Genereaux, 18, who had been missing.

No charges have been laid in connection to her death.

Sagmoen has been accused in four separate incidents of threatening or assaulting sex workers.

This includes an incident in Maple Ridge in 2013, which Sagmoen pleaded guilty to in February.

For those charges, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail followed by 24 months of probation.

READ MORE: Public opinion at play for new indoor rec centre in Vernon

READ MORE: Public input wanted on important ‘business’: Regional District of North Okanagan

sig

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Penticton Search and Rescue respond to six calls in less than a week

Two hikers rescued in early morning search near Greyback Lake latest in series of searches

In photos: Modified, yet traditional graduation gives Penticton graduates a sense of normalcy

Students around Penticton take part in pre-recorded graduation ceremonies

Penticton RCMP arrest man found ‘unlawfully in home’

Police are asking anyone with information to contact them

‘It’s about equality’ says Penticton man rallying for Black Lives Matter

“Canada is not exempt from racism and oppression,” said Geoff Stathers, standing with his #BLM sign

No active confirmed COVID-19 cases in Interior Health: BCCDC

Numbers from the BCCDC’s dashboard show 193 of the 195 COVID-19 cases in the region have recovered

March dental conference key to many of B.C.’s COVID-19 cases

Early infections from China, Iran were quickly contained

Police seek help identifying person of interest in Salmon Arm arson investigation

A fire in a garage was extinguished but it is being treated as an arson.

Regional District of Kootenay Boundary rescinds all Grand Forks-area evacuation orders

Evacuation alerts for 1,136 Boundary properties remain in effect as officials monitor forecasts

MAP: Dr. Henry reveals which B.C. regions have seen most COVID-19 cases

B.C. health officials release a first look at how the novel coronavirus has reached all corners of the province

Filming to resume safely later in June: Okanagan Film Commission

Film commissioner Jon Summerland said they want to start filming again later in June

Kelowna RCMP investigate woman’s sudden death

Criminality is not suspected at this time, according to RCMP

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman, 26, fatally shot by police in Edmundston, N.B.

Police were conducting a well-being check at the time of the incident

WATCH: Burned out car be gone thanks to Vernon dealership, ski resort

Bannister GM Vernon and SilverStar Mountain Resort team up in road cleanup

‘We either make a difference or we don’t’: Revelstoke teen leads protest in support of BLM

Revelstoke joined cities across the world protesting against racism and police brutality

Most Read