Sagmoen’s in-custody statements under judge’s scrutiny

Sagmoen’s lawyer said statements made by him while in police custody were not provided voluntarily

Justice Alison Beames had put into effect a publication ban covering details of Curtis Sagmoen’s voir dire hearing at the request of both Crown prosecutor Simone McCallum and defence lawyer Lisa Helps.

That ban was lifted Tuesday morning after careful consideration following a media submission opposing the publication ban.

Justice Beames reasoned there is no reason to suggest publishing evidence and statements in the voir dire would lead to an unfair trial in the future.

Sagmoen has been accused of threatening a sex worker at gunpoint while wearing a mask in an incident that occurred two years ago.

He pleaded not guilty to five charges on Sept. 9, including uttering threats, careless discharge of a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, concealing his face and possession of a controlled substance.

READ MORE: Homeless man arrested after assaulting Vernon race volunteer

READ MORE: Sagmoen publication ban lifted

His lawyer said the court should not accept statements made by her client in police interviews as the statements made were not provided voluntarily.

In an interview with RCMP Cst. Richard MacQueen, a rapport was established through friendly banter over cigarette breaks where they discussed pastimes and hobbies they had in common, such as fishing.

But Helps said in her argument this was a tactic used to later elicit statements that could be deemed an involuntary confession.

Helps said MacQueen pushed touchy subjects, specifically involving his family, to keep Sagmoen talking.

McCallum, however, said this is a tool commonly used by police officers during investigations.

In an audio recording, Sagmoen said there are only three things he cares about — his dog, his mom and his dad.

Topics involving drug use, employment, Sagmoen’s cellphone, online dating and escort history would bring out a change in a demeanor, McCallum said.

A video recording shows Sagmoen lift a chair and attempt to throw it after MacQueen said computers from the family home had been seized for search.

Sagmoen apologized for the outburst after the officer was able to de-escalate the situation.

Statements Sagmoen made should not be admissible, Helps argued, contending they were made involuntarily.

McCallum said police did their due diligence in offering access to a lawyer, and no extraneous force was used by officers in any interaction with the accused.

Rather, Crown counsel said Sagmoen chose when to and not to speak to MacQueen, illustrating he exercised his right to silence when he wished to.

Justice Beames is expected to make her decision on the voir dire Sept. 23, 9 a.m., in the Vernon courts.

A publication ban is still in effect protecting the name and identity of the victim and in future reproductions of audio and video interviews of Sagmoen, his voice will be distorted — a condition of the publication ban removal.

Shortly after Sagmoen’s September arrest, his parents’ farm was the focus of an extensive search, where police discovered the remains of Traci Genereaux, 18, who had been missing.

No charges have been laid in connection to her death.

Sagmoen has been accused in four separate incidents of threatening or assaulting sex workers.

He pleaded guilty in February for an incident that occurred in Maple Ridge in 2013, sentenced to 30 days in jail and 24 months of probation.

READ MORE: Facebook to train AI systems using police video


@caitleerach
Caitlin.clow@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh returns to Penticton Oct. 19

He is hosting a rally to boost local NDP candidate Richard Cannings’ campaign efforts

Cannabis edibles, extracts legalized today in Canada

You can now legally purchase weed brownies!

South Okanagan man honoured with lifetime achievement award

The late Nick Bevanda to receive a lifetime achievement award for his architecture work

South Okanagan dangerous offender guilty plea struck down

Trial delayed again because Ronald Teneycke failed to elect his choice of trial

Election 2019: Helena Konanz – Conservative Party candidate for South Okanagan – West Kootenay

Helena Konanz is running for the Conservative Party in the South Okanagan – West Kootenay riding

Okanagan College nursing students to make history in Thailand

Students to take on Vernon-born practicum overseas

British family deported after ‘accidental’ U.S. border crossing

U.S. officials deny it was mistake, release video of vehicle crossing into Washington from Langley

LETTERS: Wolf kills, wilderness protection and caribou recovery

Readers respond to Tom Fletcher’s column on B.C. program

Kamloops man hangs on to back of stolen truck as suspect speeds away, crashes

The pickup truck was seen leaving the roadway before bursting into flames

Everything you need to know before getting the flu shot

Island pharmacist shares concerns, recommendations before flu season hits

Interior Health approves reopening of Shuswap elementary school

Sicamous facility, closed since Sept. 20 due to health concerns, to be back in operation on Nov. 13

Viral video sensation brings skills to Okanagan

Jacob Moon joins Hear the Music for concert and workshop

Walk this way, if you dare at North Okanagan farm theatre

Caravan Farm Theatre near Vernon presents Walk of Terror

Most Read