School district lists sex offender as custodial parent of Penticton teen

Alleged bureaucratic mixup leads to an admitted sex offender being listed as the custodial parent of a Penticton teen

An alleged bureaucratic mixup by the Okanagan Skaha School District led to an admitted sex offender being listed as the custodial parent of a Penticton teen.

Now the biological father wants them to be held accountable. The man, whose name we have changed to Jones to protect the identity of his son, alleges the teen was befriended by Rene Marc Burke for the intention of being exploited. Jones said grooming tactics of making booze, cigarettes and partying available to the teen were used by Burke.

“He told my son he was a millionaire and he was going to inherit everything,” said the dad.

Burke has since pleaded guilty to charges of fear of a sexual offence in respect of a person under 14, touching a younger person for a sexual purpose and two breaches. Charges that all stem from contact with the teen. Burke appeared in court on Wednesday but the details of the charges have not been laid out in court yet, as the man’s sentencing was adjourned to another day.

Jones said the 56-year-old Burke was a complete stranger to him. He said he first learned of Burke after finding out his son had arranged to transfer high schools in August 2011.

Jones went into the School District 67 office looking for answers and was told the application had been filled out by Burke, who signed off as the parent/guardian. Jones showed his driver’s licence and demanded a copy of the file, but said the staff person denied him.

He said he was told he would have to prove that he was the custodial parent. Half an hour after this exchange Jones returned to the school district office with custody papers, child tax credit papers for the previous year and his son’s name on papers addressed to him. He said he was denied again.

“I told them I wanted the information to give to police to protect my kid.”

He alleges a school district official informed him that a criminal background check would have to be done on both him and Burke in order to ensure the teen’s safety.

“The school district warns parents about little Timmy walking home in the park and a stranger says ‘Hi’ to him, meanwhile they have got a parent right in front of them in their office saying a strange guy is trying to transfer my kid to a new school and they don’t do anything,” said Jones. “This man was a complete stranger to me.”

After doing some of his own investigation work, Jones said he filed a complaint with RCMP and then a restraining order on Burke, who was arrested on Oct. 21, 2011 and has been behind bars since.

The dad then filed a small claims action against School District 67, and on Wednesday he told the Western News he was waiting for the conclusion of Burke’s criminal proceedings before setting a date for small claims court.

“All I want is a letter of apology and a small monetary penalty to penalize them and hold them accountable,” said Jones, who added he would use the money to help with his son’s rehabilitation, saying the teen has psychological problems from what Burke has done.

“These are people put in place that you are supposed to trust with your kids. I think they should all be fired or removed.”

The school district was contacted and assistant superintendent Dave Burgoyne said they do not make comments on cases that are currently before the courts.

Burke was not sentenced on Wednesday, he is seeking enhanced credit because of delays and medical conditions — the specifics of which were not laid out in court. Using crutches as he walked into the prisoner’s box, Burke kept his eyes and head low during the short proceedings.

 

Just Posted

Fruit farmers in the Okanagan and Creston valleys are in desperate need of cherry harvesters amid COVID-19 work shortages. (Photo: Unsplash/Abigail Miller)
‘Desperate’ need for workers at Okanagan cherry farms

Fruit farmers are worried they’ll have to abandon crops due to COVID-19 work shortages

(File photo)
Penticton not holding Canada Day activities out of respect for Indigenous people

Cities across B.C. are cancelling the holiday after an increased spotlight on Canada’s dark history

Police are asking for public assistance in locating Anthony Graham who has been charged with the murders of Kamloops brothers Carlo and Erick Fryer. (RCMP photo)
2 Penticton-area men charged with Kamloops brothers’ double homicide

Brothers Erick and Carlo Fryer were found deceased in May in Naramata

JAK's Liquor Store in Penticton will be donating 10 per cent of its sales on Saturday, June 19, to the Penticton Salvation Army Food Bank. (Photo from JAKS.com)
Stock up your liquor cabinet and support the Penticton food bank

Jak’s beer and wine store is donating a portion of sales to local food banks Saturday

The illegal open fire above Naramata continues to smoke on Friday, June 18. The fire was left to burn itself out by BC Wildfire. (Monique Tamminga - Western News)
Illegal open burn in Naramata will be left to smoke

BC Wildfire could not confirm whether the property owner had been fined

A small pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins pass by close to shore in Campbell River June 16, 2021. Still capture from video courtesy of Kimberly Hart
VIDEO: Dolphin sunset captured from Vancouver Island shore

Spectacular setting for view of travelling pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins

Earls On Top at 211 Bernard Avenue in Kelowna. (Google Maps photo)
Downtown Kelowna’s Earls ordered closed after COVID-19 transmission

Earls on Top on Bernard Avenue will be closed from June 18 to June 27

A motorycle crash has been reported on Westside Road. (Google Maps)
UPDATE: Westside Road reopened following motorcycle crash near Vernon

AIM Roads advises drivers to expect delays due to congestion

Dereck Donald Sears. (Contributed/Crimestoppers)
Murder charge laid in relation to suspicious Kelowna death

Dereck Donald Sears is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Darren Middleton

Albert Health Minister Tyler Shandro and Alberta Premier Jason Kenney unveil an opening sign after speaking about the Open for Summer Plan and next steps in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, in Edmonton, Friday, June 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta 1st province in Canada to lift all COVID-19 public health restrictions

70.2% of eligible citizens 12 and older in the province have received a dose of the vaccine

Fraser Health registered nurse Ramn Manan draws a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine into a syringe at a walk-up vaccination clinic at Bear Creek Park, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, May 17, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
‘Honour our fathers’ with COVID-19 vaccine protection, B.C. urges

109 new cases Friday, 75 per cent of 12 and up immunized

(Paul Henderson/ Chilliwack Progress)
Trutch Avenue in Chilliwack to be renamed to remove racist taint

New name to have Indigenous significance as Chilliwack takes new step toward reconciliation

Most Read