The Okanagan Skaha School District is in the process of selling off a strip of land next to Queen’s Park Elementary to the owner of neighbouring properties. Photo courtesy Google Street View

School district selling Penticton property

A strip of land next to Queen’s Park Elementary is being sold to a neighbour

The Okanagan Skaha School District says the time is right to sell a strip of property next to Queen’s Park Elementary.

The gravel strip, long used for parking and access to neighbouring businesses and buildings, is owned by the school district, but Superintendent Wendy Hyer said it’s not being used by the school and the rest of the Queen’s Park property won’t be affected.

“All the grass area that is normally playground, that’s still school property. It’s just that little strip in between the grass and the buildings,” said Hyer.

Larry Lund, whose company owns the adjacent property, offered to purchase the land from the school district for $375,000. He said the strip originally belonged to the railway.

“That’s the old railway line, it’s never been used for anything else,” said Lund, explaining there are no plans to develop the area.

“We just wanted to consolidate some of our property down there and it made sense to purchase that land,” said Lund.

One of the motivations, he said, was the of parking for their tenants.

“It will give us some additional parking. That was the main motivator for doing it,” said Lund. “Plus, it’s been sitting there, vacant and unused, ever since the railway left.”

“Because we don’t really have an educational purpose for that space, and he was prepared to offer fair market value, we thought it would probably be in the best interests of the district to do something like that,” said Hyer, who explained the proceeds of the sale, when it is completed, will go into a capital fund with the Ministry of Education.

“I believe it is 25 per cent we can use for something we would like, and the other 75 per cent goes to the ministry and we have to ask them permission to use that money for capital projects.

“It will sit in a fund, that is targeted to our district and we will get to use it down the road for a renovation or something like that.”

The funds from this sale join those from last year’s sale of school district property in Naramata.

“We’ve got a little bit of money there saved up and we are looking to make sure we have a fund there so we can do something down the road,” said Hyer.

That might be for extensions to schools like Uplands and Parkway, which Hyer said are near capacity.

“If those areas continue to grow, we might need the addition of a couple of classrooms somewhere,” said Hyer, adding that it might also go to a long-awaited upgrade in Summerland.

“We’ve had the Summerland gymnasium on our capital project list. That is a project that is dear to many people’s hearts because it is a small outdated gym that is pretty small from a classroom perspective.

“It’s a good little fund to have access to when there is a real need.”

Just Posted

Penticton council sends housing project back to drawing board

B.C. Housing had proposed 52 units of modular housing for the corner of Green Avenue and Main Street

Nine properties in Twin Lakes under evac order

RDOS concerned about a possible breach in Twin Lakes flood armouring

Penticton Heat take silver at Barn Burner Lacrosse Tournament

The Penticton Heat pee wee lacrosse team nabbed a silver medal at their own tournament

Okanagan jail likely driver of region’s violent crime hike

South Okanagan-Similkameen’s top cop says violent crime happening in jail, not after inmates released

They came for a good time on Shuswap Lake

Trooper plays for hundreds on Shuswap Lake this past May Long weekend

PNE’s Summer Night Concerts by Village People, Lauper, Goo Goo Dolls, more

Mostly retro sounds at this year’s fair in Vancouver, starting Aug. 18

Notley to skip western premiers meeting today, but slams leader who’s there

Notley told reporters that B.C. Premier John Horgan is trying to shut down the Trans Mountain pipeline

No suitors emerge for pipeline project stake as Kinder Morgan deadline looms

Analysts and observers remain perplexed by Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s comment last week that “plenty of investors would be interested in taking on this project”.

Energy wells plugged as Hawaii’s volcano sends lava nearby

A spike in gas levels could prompt a mass evacuation in Hawaii

Trump seethes over Russia probe, calls for end to ‘SPYGATE’

“SPYGATE could be one of the biggest political scandals in history!” Trump said on Twitter

Grads receive BC Transit passes

BC Transit provides passes to graduating students in more than 50 communities

Philip Roth, fearless and celebrated author, dies at 85

Literary agent Andrew Wylie said Roth died Tuesday night of congestive heart failure.

Most Read