Ronald Teneycke is escorted out of Penticton’s courthouse in 2017. He appeared in court on Monday, via video from Kent Institution, on a failure to comply with a no contact order charge. (Western News file photo)

Okanagan inmate in court again for allegedly sending letter to man he shot

Ronald Teneycke returns to court on failing to comply with a no contact order charge

A dangerous offender from the South Okanagan could be headed back to court for a trial.

Ronald Arthur Teneycke is serving an indefinite sentence at the Kent Institution in Agassiz and is charged with failing to comply with a no contact order, allegedly sending a letter to the Oliver man he shot in 2015.

READ ALSO: South Okanagan dangerous offender in court for contacting victim

Teneycke was designated a dangerous offender in March 2018, for a crime spree that ended when RCMP arrested him in a Cawston orchard after t-boning the vehicle he was driving. The manhunt was sparked after Teneycke, who had been posing as a hitchhiker on Baldy Mountain Forest Service Road, shot Wayne Belleville and stole his truck.

READ ALSO: Teneycke saw himself as the victim

Teneycke pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, two counts of robbery, possession of a restricted firearm, failing to stop for RCMP and multiple breaches of probation.

It was during Christmas that Belleville allegedly received a letter from the Kent Institution, a maximum security facility, which would put Teneycke in breach of his no contact order.

READ ALSO: South Okanagan man ‘elated’ at criminal’s indefinite sentence

In Penticton provincial court on Monday, Teneycke, who was on the court docket as intending to plead guilty, did not have legal counsel to represent him. Appearing via video from prison, Teneycke told judge Michelle Daneliuk that he did not know that there was a no contact order with Belleville. Daneliuk decided to schedule the matter to a later date to allow Teneycke to seek legal advice, and possibly to bring the matter to a trial since he indicated in court that he did not believe he was guilty. Teneycke told Daneliuk that he was denied legal aid assistance because he is already in jail serving an indefinite sentence as a dangerous offender.

“It will, in fact, effect how his sentence would be administered and what would happen with the indefinite disposition he has got, so I really think it is important that he have counsel,” said Daneliuk.

Belleville previously told the Western News that Teneycke initially expressed regret in the letter for shooting him, then it took a turn.

“But he couldn’t even contain himself, he later went on to say that he had zero empathy for me and that, in fact, if it wasn’t for my behaviour, he wouldn’t have shot me at all – effectively blaming me.”

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.


@PentictonNews
newstips@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Racist incidents on the rise in the Okanagan as coronavirus spreads

UBCO professor not surprised by recent incidents

Pecha Kucha speaker series returns to Cannery Brewing

The speakers will share character building experiences to begin Pecha Kucha’s sixth year in Penticton

Penticton Vees forward O’Brien named first team BCHL all-star

O’Brien finished the season tied for fourth in leauge scoring with 66 points in 46 games.

Man accused of attacking Penticton doctor has charges dropped by Crown

Charges against Gregory Nield for alleged attack on a psychiatrist at PRH stayed by Crown

RCMP and Upper Dek Vees tie in community hockey rematch

$1,175 for the Upper Dek Vees and Penticton Alzheimer Society was raised at the game.

Protecting privacy key to stopping spread of COVID-19, B.C. health officials say

The number of coronavirus cases in B.C. remains at seven

Toffoli scores OT winner as Canucks beat Habs 4-3

Demko makes 37 saves for Vancouver

Kelowna man charged after naked driver leads RCMP on hit-and-run spree

A Kelowna man has been charged with numerous offences

Private clinics would harm ‘ordinary’ people using public system in B.C.: lawyer

Health Minister Adrian Dix announced in 2018 that the government would begin to fine doctors $10,000

B.C. terminates contract with hospice society refusing assisted death

Delta Hospice Society loses hospital service fund of $1.5 million

‘Die!’: Vernon councillor mailed death threat

This story contains information that might be sensitive to some readers

Vernon tennis star Vasek Popisil named Best of BC winner

Sport BC honours tennis star for his comeback season after back surgery

Most Read