Tax rates in Oliver will rise by nine per cent for 2021 for the third time in the last four years.
The increase is part of the town’s preparations to pay for the community’s policing costs after the next census.
The financial plan and budget for 2021 was approved by council on March. 8.
The tax rate increase of nine per cent was also planned to take place in 2020, but was reduced to a zero increase on property taxes to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
In November 2020, council approved an increase of four per cent for water and sewer fees for 2021.
The increase in taxes is part of the five-year plan that was approved in 2018, to raise taxes to the point where the community will be able to fully support the local RCMP detachment after the next census.
Under the Police Act, all municipalities over the population of 5,000 are required to provide 100 per cent of the funding required for their local detachment.
The Town of Oliver provides for 30 per cent of the costs for the municipal police currently, with the province paying for the remaining 70 per cent.
The yearly increases are intended to raise taxes in increments to avoid a sudden substantial shock to the system.
To report a typo, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.