Trial date set for Penticton man accused of prostituting his daughter

Four-day trial set to begin May 28 in Penticton court

A four-day trial has been scheduled for the Penticton man accused of prostituting his daughter.

On Wednesday at Penticton provincial court, a trial date of May 28 was set for the man charged with three counts of sexual assault, sexual interference of a person under 14, sexual interference of a person under 16, two counts of living on the avails of prostitution of a person under 18, sexual exploitation, parent or guardian procuring sexual activity and aiding a person to engage in prostitution. The man’s name is being withheld under a publication ban which was set out to protect the identity of the complainant, while another publication ban has been ordered on trial information until the proceedings are over.

Investigation into the man began in May 2011 when information was received by RCMP that a young girl was being sexually victimized. Her 46-year-old father was arrested on July 22.

RCMP previously said that throughout the investigation, Mounties identified men that were allegedly receiving sexual services from the girl. Three of those men have been arrested and are awaiting court dates. Baldev Toor, Benjamin Wolfe and Rick Wyatt have all been charged in with obtaining sexual services of a person under the age of 18 years. Wolfe, who ran in the Penticton municipal elections for the mayor’s seat in 2008, outed himself to the media before his charges were formally laid. He told the Western News he was a client of the juvenile for about eight weeks, but argued he was told she was of legal age. Wolf has a May 2 trial confirmation date and a June 14 date scheduled for preliminary inquiry. Toor has a two-day trial scheduled for Dec. 18.

The charges carry a minimum sentence of six months and up to five years of jail time.