Class is out for the day at Princess Margaret Secondary School after black smoke filled the school from a small fire in the washroom.
Firefighter Andrew Bird said the Penticton Fire Department got a direct alarm call at around 11 a.m. Friday, and upon arrival saw no signs of a fire.
“We talked to one of the admin staff and they confirmed there was some black smoke in the men’s bathroom,” Bird said. “We sent in a couple of members to check it out, the fire was extinguished, lots of smoke throughout the building, so at this point we’re at the ventilation stage.”
Bird said the school was evacuated and students would not be returning for the day, as it would take some time for the building ventilated.
He said the fire appears to have started in the trash can in the washroom.
“The soap dispenser burned up and the trash can is right beside it,” Bird said.
He said there was no indication at this point that the fire might have been deliberate.